Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Seat Reset for tall drivers

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Seat Reset for tall drivers  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 11-18-2011 06:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Somebodystopme!!

So I almost did not buy my Jensen because when I first got it with the seat all the way back my knees hit the wheel and legs were jammed against the console and dash too. very uncomfortable.

when sitting normally I was also looking directly at the top of the windshield header. even though my car does not have visors I still had to lean over to see out of the windshield.

So this is what I did,

I fabbed a couple of extensions for the seat rails so the seat would go further back. I also mounted the seat directly to the track reducing height by about 2-3 inches. I then removed the lower seat cushion and cut the lower rear part of the seat frame off and rewelded it up 1.5 inches. This allowed the seat to clear the little hump in the floor for the drivers rear suspension link.

You can kind of see the difference between the passenger and drivers seat from the pic below.

Now I see out of the upper half of the windshield and the seat is far enough back that my legs can stretch complety out. Sweet!

Attachment: IMG_1349 (Medium).jpg (Downloaded 122 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 11-19-2011 11:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
DDrake

Those seats do not look original to me . Do you know what they are out of

Posted: 11-19-2011 11:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
JJarvis

At 6'5" and 230 lbs, I appreciate the input. I am about to make some changes along these lines. Very timely!  I planned on removing some of the padding in the seat and back,.  I also want to see if an extension could be built for the seat rails or adjustments made to the set frame. Do you have any pictures of the uncovered frame?  For me, the only way to really sit and see out the window with the stock seats is to recline them almost all the way back.  To far to be safe, in fact.  No head and neck support at all.

Posted: 11-20-2011 02:34 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Somebodystopme!!

I'm 6' 2" and weigh in at 220lbs so I can feel your pain.

I did not take any pics but what I did was remove the 2 risers off the front and rear rail mount. That dropped it around 2" right there.

The seat rails that mount to the floor are still there in the stock location but I took a piece of flat bar and made the seat rail extend back an additional 4" or so. The seat still reclines a little but just enough to be comfortable.

My frame rails are in very poor shape (as far as being easy to move forward and backward) but I will most likely be the only one driving it.

As I sit in it now I am looking out of the upper 2/3 portion of the windshield. right where I should be.

Posted: 11-20-2011 02:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Somebodystopme!!

Not real sure if those are original or not. The rails appear to fit in the original holes. They came with the car when I bought it.

Posted: 11-23-2011 11:34 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Dan (Florida)

just my 2 cents,  I removed that foot rest next to the clutch pedal  and found the leg room situation much better. your left leg can stretch out straight  beside the clutch pedal which is very nice.  also I moved the rearview mirror from the windshield  frame and mounted it upside down in the center of the dash so I can see over it, also nice

hth Dan

Last edited on 11-23-2011 11:36 am by Dan (Florida)

Current time is 08:03 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Seat Reset for tall drivers Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems