Home 

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
LambandAndy

Driving home from work the other morning, after working a night shift, it was a little chilly so I had the roof up and the heater on (which is some thing I hadn't done in a while).  After a few miles, when the engine warmed up, I noticed that I seemed to have created my own personal sub-tropical biosphere inside in the car.

A peek up under the dashboard with a flashlight after I got home, and the simultaneous discovery that the carpet was soaked with coolant, led me to the inevitable conclusion that my heater core was leaking.  I had been wondering where that cooling had been going!  At least it wasn't a head gasket as I had previously suspected.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Jody for his excellent video on heater repair.  It helped a whole bunch to see how the unit is installed before attempting removal with the dash in place (yes it is possible).

I do currently have the whole unit in pieces on the bench so if anyone has any questions that Jody didn't cover, now's the time to ask.  I have already had the heater core repaired by a local radiator shop (the same guy recored my radiator for me a couple of years ago with a three row) so will hopefully be going back together with it in the next few days.

Andy

JodyKerr

Andy,

Thanks for the kind words. I know that others would likely appreciate a quick description on how to get the heater out of the car with the dash in place. When I worked on mine it had come out of a box of spare bits.

Jody

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems