Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Transmission oil fill plug  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-06-2005 02:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Paul Koehler

I have managed to mangle my transmission fill plug, trying to remove with vice grips, as the corners were rounded, and would not turn with a 1" spanner. After finally getting it off and resizing to a 7/8" head on my grinder, I noticed that the grinding wheel had accidently flattened some of the threads. So off to the hardware store, to buy a nut in the hope of correcting the threads. Then proceded to mangle the threads beyond redemption.

Anybody know what the correct size is? Is it pipe thread, or metric or what? Anybody got one for sale or know where to obtain one?

Does this feeling of being hopelessly inept last long?

74 JH 4 speed-PK

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-06-2005 12:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
mike92782

I would try Delta.  Here is the description of the plug with catalog numbers.  The first number is the Jensen number and the second is the part number.

plug - oil drain
~
Chrysler (UK)

This information is from http://www.web-masters.com/gms/

Mike

Posted: 06-06-2005 01:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Paul Koehler

Thanks Mike - what I need is the transmission fill plug, and not the oil drain plug.

Posted: 06-06-2005 04:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jim Ketcham

Paul,

The filler plug and the drain plug are identical.  They are both P/N 93091.  As I recall, all the transmission hardware is SAE and not metric.

Jim

Posted: 06-06-2005 04:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Mark Rosenbaum

The 4-speed's fill plug and drain plug are the same part. This plug has a 1/2"-14 straight cut pipe thread, and has a rebated section just under the head for a copper crush washer. This refinement isn't really necessary for the fill plug but I suppose it was simpler to use the same plug in both locations.  The oil sump drain plug has a number of differences, but uses the same thread, and would be a satisfactory substitute in either location, though I don't know if the reverse would be true.

In any event, Delta should have these plugs in stock.  If not, or if you need a fill plug immediately, try your local auto parts store -- Chrysler Corp. US has used a similar plug since at least the early 1950s -- or get a 1/2" pipe plug from the local hardware store. However, there is a difference in thread profiles between US and British pipe standards.  Since I'm not sure which is used on the JH, I'd opt for a brass or even plastic plug in case the threads had to deform when installed.

If all else fails, and the car really must be moved under its own power, you can use a suitably sized rubber stopper, bottle cork, or whittled wooden bung as a field expedient.  I wouldn't use any of these as a permanent fix, of course.

Posted: 06-06-2005 11:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Paul Koehler

Thanks to all for your timely advice. Delta had in stock.

Current time is 10:22 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > Transmission oil fill plug Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems