Home 

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
yellowjh

My 5 speed has become very sloppy shifting (sometimes missing gears) and I have ordered the shift linkage kit from Delta Motor Sports(#97337K)for installation.
Does anyone know if I can install this kit without removing the transmission. Possibly working thru the hole in the console tunnel and from underneath? Has anyone had experience with this kit? Did it solve your sloppy shifting? Any input is appreciated.

Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Just pop the shifter assembly off the trans. no need to pull the trans. out, it's a very simple and easy task, take the center consul off to remove the rear mount nut and a couple of bolts underneath.

A word of caution be carefull removing the trudgen collar dont over flex it slide it back and out of the way, let us know how the Delta kit works for you I rebuilt my own and made the replacement bushings out of brass I believe Delta use's the plastic ones so you may end up having to do it agian down the line.

Pete Bahr rebuilds them (see Pete's Kit's) and really does a super job replacing all worn items such as the pins and collars in case you are not happy with what Delta offers.

Good luck Brett

pbahr

Hey Brett, thanks for the kudos...
I've rebuilt a total of about 10 of these over the past few years and receipants have been very pleased with the results. Funny, but when I get the cores, there is a lot of difference in the details - seems that the factory learned of design shortfalls and made some attempts to fix. It's a lot of work, and I can't do one at a time because of machine shop set-up costs. A bit of information is available at: http://jhppg.com/pk0604.htm but the rework details are a bit different now. That description was done when I did the first one for my car.

yellowjh, if you send me a direct email: peteb01@comcast.net I'll try to help you with your problem if the Delta kit does not work. There are 6-7 points of faliure in the assembly, and the Delta kit only addresses a couple of them.

YELODOG

yellowjh

Thanks Brett for the info....waiting on the kit to install this weekend....I'll let you know how it works out

yellowjh

Thanks for the info Pete....if i hit a snag I will be sure to let you know.....

yellowjh

Finally got the time to rebuild the shifter using Delta's parts kit. Went very smooth......turns out the major problem was a split rear mount.....ordered a new one from delta for $18. They are suppose to be aircraft quality. While I was set up i decided to install the kit anyway...now all is well.

pbahr

Wazza "rear mount" ?
Pete

yellowjh

Pete....the rear external mount...Delta part# 97582

pbahr

OK, got it. With that part bad, the rear of the Bracket can move around.

It actually should not move too much unless the bearings on the front, where the Bracket mounts to the Tranny, are really bad. I've found that the Shaft-pivot wears the hole in the aluminum Bracket and that allows the entire Bracket to move around. Also, if you have a later car, there is a rubber bushing in the Support-Shaft pivot that can destroy itself and give similiar problems.

YELODOG

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems