Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Height JH MKI  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 09-03-2011 07:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Anton

I have problems with the actual height from my JH.
Often the exhaust and sway bar hit the road. If I compare the heigt of my JH with other JH's it is really lower.

Is there any solution to upgrade the height. (springs, shocks ??)???

Last edited on 09-03-2011 07:33 pm by Anton

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 09-03-2011 08:26 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Art DeKneef

I am guessing you mean 'it hits the road' when going over a bump or pothole. If it's also on a reguler smooth flat road, yeah that's too low. How much is really lower?

Could be several things:
Engine mounts shot causing engine to be lower. I would think you would notice this because it would probably affect you steering.

The springs are different than stock. My checking the springs of my cars shows two different heights. With the shorter being a little stiffer. All were believed to be stock springs. If someone shortened the springs maybe they went too far. Was this car ever raced?

Were does the exhaust hit? Maybe it can be adjusted up some by checking the brackets and tubing.

Is the sway bar hitting or the fittings? I have seen on other cars where the bolts were put in wrong and too long causing them to hit. Fixing them solved that problem.

What size tires do you have? If smaller than stock that will lower the car.

I don't think the shocks would have much to do with this as the springs would be holding up the car. But stranger things have happened.

Is the height the same on both sides of the car?

I know they make little gizmos that you insert into the coils of the springs that can raise a car some that way. Look for coil spring spacers.

Art

Posted: 09-06-2011 02:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Lash Russell

Anton, Art.

This is opposite of the usual ride height request for feedback.  Usually the ride height is too high after a clubber has put in new shocks (gas charged) as well as new springs.  All of Art's recommendations are good for stock shock/spring arrangements.  I did notice on mine that with worn bushings on the front the ride height is a little lower on one side but as soon as I put in a set of KYB's that I had sitting around the height dramatically lifted, too much in my opinion.  I will be rebuilding my front suspension with new super=pro bushings, Delta uprated springs, and Bisteins (rear already done) and I hope the ride height settles down a bit.  I was told that even though the Bilsteins are gas charged, they don't pump up the ride height as much as the KYB's.  I hope this is right.

Food for thought Anton when you start planning to fix your suspension.

Lash

Posted: 09-07-2011 12:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

FWIW the ride height measured just behind the front wheel was reduced 3/8ths of an inch when I replaced the gas KYB's with no gas Konis.

I put the end of a KYB on a bath scale and pushed until the shock compressed. The reading was 40 lbs.

I use gas Konis on the rear to eliminate the "driving uphill" attitude of the car.

If I had a stack of funny money I would love to run 15" wheels with 195-60's which would fill out the wheel wells better. 

Kurt

Current time is 05:26 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Suspension > Height JH MKI Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems