Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Mystery questions: Center console, steering wheel badge

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Mystery questions: Center console, steering wheel badge  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-21-2011 04:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Mason Jones

Ok, I’ve got a couple of interior questions. I’m new to the JH and I’m stumped.

1) Has anyone seen a center console like this? Every one I’ve seen in photos, and including the original plastic one from this car, has an ash tray & cig lighter.
This one which is from a later car has this plastic piece with 2 narrow slots where the ash tray would be.

What are these slots for? What went there? I’ve been using it to hold the garage door opener.

2) I got this JH badge on ebay. They seller said it came off his JH from yrs ago and he doesn’t remember where it went. I thought I'd seen a steering wheel badge like this in a photo. It’s more rounded than the hood badge and it doesn’t have the 2 posts. But it’s too big for the steering wheel.

Where does this go? Did I just buy an $18 belt buckle?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-21-2011 05:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
JodyKerr

Mason,

Your center console has been modified. That is not an original piece.

The badge is a steering wheel badge. My memory is a little on the foggy side here, but I believe it was fitted to steering wheels from the later JH5 and or the GT.

Jody

Posted: 08-22-2011 12:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Mason, you might be able to swap out the badge in the steering wheel with your new one I'm pretty sure the rubber one is removable that way you can unbolt the steering wheel, just not sure if they are of the same size.

Brett

Posted: 08-22-2011 07:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Dan Collier

I have the early 1974 MkII with the rubber emblem. I think the 1974½ and up had the metal insert.

Posted: 08-22-2011 09:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Mason Jones

I do have the removable rubber insert and the metal one is too big so it must be from the later model.

Well, anyone need a steering wheel badge from a later JH? I would gladly pass this thing on to someone from the club who can use it.

Anyone ever thought about doing a "Wanted/swap" post on the board? I'm not talking about anything that would compete with JHPS or Delta but I've got a ton of spare parts that came with my car that I wouldn't bother putting up for sale. If someone posts they need part xyz that is NLA I or someone might have something.

Feel free to shoot the idea down, I figure there must be a reason it hasn't been done yet!

Mason

Posted: 05-23-2019 06:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Spaceman

Dan is correct, I have both, an early 74 with rubber insert and stainless bumpers, and a later 74 with the Metal steering wheel insert and 5MPH rubber bumpers. Frankly I like the earlier version, but have a steering wheel I could swap out just for fun.

I think your console has had the fake wooden piece removed and something else added, yes it should be a hole for the ash tray, and cigarette lighter.

Last edited on 05-23-2019 07:00 pm by Spaceman

Posted: 05-23-2019 10:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Frank Schwartz

You are correct. The rubber insert is from earlier JHs and the metal emblem is on later ones..You cannot put that metal piece in the steering wheel you have. I suggest a silver marking pen and ink in the JH emblem on the rubber insert and save the metal insert for when and if you obtain a later model steering wheel...or sell it...

Frank

Current time is 08:30 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Mystery questions: Center console, steering wheel badge Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems