Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Brake drum stuck  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-16-2011 05:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Mason Jones

I'm replacing the rear shoes (I've got a 73 with the Girling drums) and the right drum won't come off. It's not rusted to the hub as often happens. It will come off about 1/4" then won't go any further. It turns fine, will even rock back and forth. The left drum came off easily.

I loosened the adjustment screw on the backing plate all the way. The way it gets stuck just as it gets almost off makes it seem like there might be a bump on the axle end that it's catching on.

Any ideas? I can't think of anything else to do except go get a puller.

Mason

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-17-2011 01:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Art DeKneef

There's probably a small ridge of rust blocking the drum from coming off. The area where the shoes rub against the drum are smooth and the area outside of this has been exposed to the elements, water, dirt, etc., and have built up enough to provide a small barrier that might be hitting the brake shoes.

You might be able to see it if you get a bright light and can get in to look towards the inside of the drum. A puller will help. Or you might try tapping the drum off. But be careful so you don't crack or break the drum.

Art

Posted: 08-18-2011 07:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Mason Jones

I managed to pull the pins out from behind the backing plate and twist and release them. Undid the parking brake cable. The adjuster is loosened all the way. Even loosened the bleeder and released the fluid pressure. No dice. The drum can wobble back and forth like crazy. But it still gets stuck on the shoes (or something) before I can pull it off.

Autozone and Advance didn't have a puller large enough. Tomorrow I'll try NAPA. I was hesitant to use the puller and end up mucking up something inside but now I'm ready to blow the dang drum off!

Posted: 08-18-2011 12:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Dan (Florida)

Is the brake cylinder able to slide back and forth slightly , or is it frozen in place. Girling makes a one sided brake cylinder that has to slide back and forth so that both shoes expand into the drums equally. If the cylinder is rusted into one position it may hold a shoe in place where it won't come off. try to get the cylinder to slide in its groove before lighting the fuse.

Posted: 08-19-2011 05:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Mason Jones

Success!!! Once again thanks to the board. The cylinder was indeed stuck in place. I freed it but the drum still would not come off.

There was a chip out of the edge of the drum that allowed me just enough room to get a small pry bar in there and with a little careful prying there was a very satisfying "pop" and the drum was free.

Once off I could see there was indeed a small ridge of rust that the shoes were catching on.

The suspiciously hammer-size chips (not from me!)

I think I rescued the shoes just in time. It appears there was a fluid leak as the pad material is disintegrating and the dust in the drum is like topsoil. Strangely the cylinder doesn't appear to be wet but I'll replace it anyway.

Posted: 08-19-2011 04:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Dakota123

Axle seal leak? That would explain why the cylinder doesn't seem to be leaking.

Mike

Posted: 08-24-2011 05:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Mason Jones

Dakota123 wrote: Axle seal leak? That would explain why the cylinder doesn't seem to be leaking.

Mike

I ordered new cylinders and the wheel bearings thinking since I have it all apart I may as well.

I noticed in turning the rear hubs with the wheels and drums off that it feels very slightly bumpy. Not sure how to describe it exactly. Closest analogy I can think of is the volume knob of a stereo that has notches. The bumps are very slight and and very regular, hardly noticeable really. Both hubs feel exactly the same way which made me wonder if it was normal. They don't make any noise when I spin them and I never noticed anything while driving. When I wiggle them side to side or up and down there is no play.

So I ordered new bearings just to be on the safe side but I'm still curious if that's normal. I'm crossing fingers it's not something in the differential. I'll see what happens when I get the new bearings in.

Any tips on removing/installing the rear bearings are welcome. From what I've read elsewhere on the board it just takes a slide hammer.

Mason

Posted: 11-18-2011 10:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
normv

If you had both wheels off the ground and when you turned one side the other side when't backwards then this is normal, it is the sungears in the diff (which allow you to turn corners) thats all  

Current time is 02:11 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Brakes > Brake drum stuck Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems