Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Suspension > Front wheel bearing/spindle question

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Front wheel bearing/spindle question  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 07-29-2011 10:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Mason Jones

While replacing the calipers I decided to replace the bearings as well. When I pulled the left hub I saw that the inner grease seal had a couple of layers of metal shaved off of it.

Looking at the base of the spindle there is a metal "shroud" or "flange" (not sure what to call it) that was rubbing on the seal. When I reassembled the hub with new bearings and seal, the new seal seemed to bump that "flange" and will not go on all the way.

I'm pretty sure I pressed the races and the seal all the way in. I took the right hub off to compare and it does not have this metal flange.

As a test I put the left hub on the right side and it goes right on no problem. Tightens up and spins smoothly.

So my question is, what is this metal thing on the lefthand side and can I just remove it?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 07-30-2011 04:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Look at the parts you removed and make sure they match what you're replacing them with.

If you check the parts diagram on the Delta Motorsports website there is a difference in the pre Jan '74 and post Jan '74 parts list. Look at parts 13, 14, and 15.

http://www.deltamotorsports.com/products/pg9a-front-hub-and-disc-brake.html

I think you have one of each.

Kurt

Posted: 07-30-2011 06:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Mason Jones

So, if I understand the diagram correctly the post-74s do not have part 13 (oil seal inner shield) and part 15 is different on post-74s.

The new seal I got from Delta is a one-piece metal seal with a rubber ring in the center, pretty standard looking. It matches the diameter of the original but is thicker. But it's hard to be sure since the original seems to be ground down from rubbing on the mystery piece attached to the base of the axle stub on my car. Both the original and replacement are one-piece and not 3 pieces like parts 13-15 that I see in the diagram.

I called Delta for clarification and they seemed to agree that I have a mix of parts on my car. So I guess I'll remove the mystery piece from the axle stub and I should be OK. It bugs me that the part isn't even shown on the diagram but as long as it works!

Posted: 07-30-2011 08:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Art DeKneef

It's been a year since I rebuilt the front suspension so things may be a little fuzzy. But when I took things apart I saw the same piece of metal you did.

When I took everything to Delta to make sure I was getting the correct parts I asked Jim about that piece of metal and he said it wasn't needed any more. Don't remember the reason but I think it was due to the new seal. I got the inner and outer bearing plus the Nilos seal. There were specific instructions for installing the seal.

Art

Posted: 07-30-2011 10:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Mason Jones

Thanks guys for the info. I removed the metal piece and the hub went on with no interference.

As a side note Delta was out of the Nilos and sent me what looks like a fairly standard seal with the rubber ring in the center. Part # on the invoice is JEN-94210. With that metal piece gone the seal works.

Mason

Posted: 12-16-2012 12:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Jim Picot

I just pulled apart both my front hubs, and found the same flared shield on the left side, along with a small oil seal, but a larger oil seal only on the right side. Like Mason, my car seems to have a mix of both. I'm wondering if this was common, for Jensen to put the two different types on the same car? Mine is 18024, built Aug/Sep 1974.  The odd shield could be part 93241 for pre-Jan 1974 cars, although the drawing in the parts catalog looks a bit different.

I'm assuming that a new seal, part no 94210 for post-Jan 1974 cars will fit both sides, along with the collar 94213.

Posted: 03-15-2013 03:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
francisg

Help, I am looking for the Nilos part number usually stamped on the seal outer surface. Thanks
FG

Posted: 03-15-2013 03:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
francisg

Help, I am looking for the Nilos part number usually stamped on the seal outer surface. Thanks
FG

Posted: 04-16-2013 09:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
pearst

francisg wrote:
FG

One one side it says "V-ring V-38"
On the other side it says "Fo 3958- 9 PAT"

Attachment: oil seal 1.JPG (Downloaded 114 times)

Posted: 04-19-2013 01:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

The oil seal is a standard seal CR (Chigago Rawhide) #14857.

Brett

Current time is 07:13 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Suspension > Front wheel bearing/spindle question Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems