Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Looking to Buy First JH  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-20-2011 03:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Ramp

After perusing JHPS and related websites and then driving two JH’s last week with varying degrees of drivability, I’ve confirmed that this is my next car.

I’m mechanically inclined so feel comfortable handling certain issues as they come but I’m not looking for a project car from the start, I am looking for a solid driver that I can do mod’s and light mechanical resto work to over time.

Biggest issue for me is rust free, clean straight body, solid running condition – body work is not something I’m interested in doing myself, but needing a new paint job is not an issue.  Let me know if anyone has any suggestions. 

Finally – putting what I just said aside, one of the cars I did see is rusting out in the floor boards, trunk, frame but has all original interior in good shape and engine/drivetrain has 44K miles (4 speed) – I could probably buy this car for b/n $2000-$2500.  Any thoughts ?  I could drive it until I find a better one then store the parts.  

Thanks and I look forward to participating on the forum.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-20-2011 04:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
JodyKerr

I don't know what your budget is but if you want a really sharp JH for a heck of a price you need to consider Lee Mastoth's car. Yes, it's in Phoenix, but you couldhave an epically fun road trip home in it

http://jensenhealey.com/market/marketplace.html

It's tje fourth ad down, the white car.

Jody

Posted: 06-20-2011 05:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Ramp

Sent him an email - thanks - not thrilled with thought of buying without seeing but a forum regular would ease most concerns

Posted: 06-20-2011 05:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
JodyKerr

If you want a better picture look at the bottom of this web page: http://www.theymightberacing.com/AzJensens/WheelsOfBritain2011.aspx

He showed his car in the Masters class at Wheels of Britain, which is the big Phoenix brit car show.

I think the rest of us in Phoenix that have seen the car would recommend it.

Posted: 06-21-2011 12:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Ramp

Looks like he pulled the car or sold it.

Posted: 06-23-2011 02:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
frank12873

Lately I've been thinking of selling my JH, only because I don't think I'll ever be in a position to restore/upgrade her like I want to.

I've owned #12873 for over 8 years now. She's a driver, not a show car. The only significant rust on her that I know about is in front of the left rear wheel; it was there when I bought her and it's not getting any worse.

Mechanically she is well sorted I think; needs a rear main seal though. I put about 2000 miles a year on her, including many 200-250 mile round trips; she's never broken down. She'll also need a windshield at some point; been hit and cracked by a couple of stones over the years.

She just turned 65,000 miles on Father's Day. Silver metallic paint, 4 spd, stroms, black interior with roll bar. A nice example of the breed I think, in near-original condition. I also have a spare 907 engine and 4-spd transmission that will go with her.

I am in Fredericksburg, Virginia. Contact me off-forum at frank.fragale@ihrco.com if you want to see some pictures of my car. I'd be looking to get about $5,000 for her.

Posted: 07-08-2011 12:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Ramp

Bump - Still looking if anyone knows of any nice JH's for sale.  Looks like the vast majority are out west with very limited inventory in the Northeast.

Last edited on 07-08-2011 12:37 pm by Ramp

Posted: 07-13-2011 02:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Ramp

Does anyone live near Myrtle Beach, SC that would be willing to take a quick look at a car for me ? Or, can anyone recommend a mechanic in the area to do an inspection ?

Thanks in advance

Posted: 07-15-2011 04:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Dan (Florida)

here is a nice one in Florida, if a bit pricey

http://daytona.craigslist.org/cto/2492021406.html

Posted: 06-16-2012 11:37 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Ramp

Well, its been just about a year and I haven't found the one I really want yet - but am seriously considering the black one currently on Ebay - does anyone know this car ?  the price is getting up there for a Jensen - currently at $8400

Thoughts ?

Current time is 11:06 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > Looking to Buy First JH Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems