Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Questions from a possible new owner

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Questions from a possible new owner  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-17-2011 10:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Ramp

Needs some advice.  About to buy a 74 JH with the 5 speed Getrag.  Took her out for a run, engine seems to be in good shape.  The gearshift is hugely sloppy - very difficult to find the gears.  Even with the clutch fully depressed, sometimes she grinds gears until massaged in - mostly first, second and reverse.  Had no issues with 4th/5th

Once in gear she's fine other than when you accelerate, the gear shift pulls back.

I'm thinking the tranny needs a rebuild, new synchros, shifter linkages,etc - which is beyond my expertise.  It's current condition is unacceptable to me - thoughts and options greatly appreciated.

Thanks  in advance.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-17-2011 02:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
JodyKerr

First i would double check that it's not the clutch cable that's causing some of the issues. I.E. If the clutch isn't completely disengaging it could cause some of what your're talking about. Additionally, the shifter, as it ages does get quite sloppy.

I am not intending to dissuade you from purchasing the car. I don't know what you're looking at in terms of price and the rest of the vehicle condition. Having said that the 5 speed getrag unitcan be a very expensive rebuild. The good part is that you can order the parts through any BMW dealership. The downside is you pay BMW prices. :)

If you are stil interested in the vehicle I would highly recommend you get it checked out at a reputable mechanic and get a rebuild cost estimate. It cam cost as much as 3k to rebuild one of those transmissions (if I remember correctly). One of the other members on here recently did his transmission, he may have more accurate costs.

Jody

Posted: 06-17-2011 02:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Ramp

Thanks for the response.  The clutch cable was just replaced and I don't think is adjusted correclty.  There is almost no throw between fully depressed and engagement - its about 1/2 inch and your engaged.

I'm looking for a solid driver and don't want to spend the summer having the tranny rebuilt - no fun buying a car and not being able to drive it for awhile ! Price is not on the low side for these cars.

What about the gear shift.  What's involved in getting rid of the sloppiness ? I like clean crisp shifts.  Is there anyplace I can source a new tranny set up with basically plug and play ?

The only other thing that concerns me on the car is hood and fender fit and some rust bubbles showing under the paint and near the running boards.

Posted: 06-18-2011 09:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Art DeKneef

Fixing the clutch cable should help with some of issues. Also find out what fluid was used if it was changed when the new clutch cable was installed. Since the car has a 5-speed it should be 80 EP gear oil. The 4-speed uses 20W-50 and sometimes that is what gets used because the shop manual doesn't specify what to use.

Getting rid of the shifter sloppiness can be done and helps you achieve clean , crisp shifts. Check out http://www.jhppg.com/peteskits.htm or send Pete an email at peteb01@comcast.net.

A group of us just had our shifters rebuilt by Pete a few months ago.

Finding a replacement 5-speed trans is difficult as there were not many cars that used it making them rare.

If you get the car you might also join the Jensen mail list as another source of info. http://www.british-steel.org/faq/jensen-cars.html

Art

Posted: 06-19-2011 01:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Ramp

Thanks again.  Decided to pass on the 5 speed - convinced that the car needed a rebuild on the tranny as well as possibly the rear end.  I'm ok with that AFTER I get to drive it for at least a summer !!

Next day happened to find a 4 speed about 60 miles away - all original, no mods at all, all engine components in place.  Took it for a drive and as far as transmissions, it was night/day.  The 4 speed is as I would expect - only 45k miles.  loved the car and am now confident I want a JH

Unfortunately the 4 speed was completely rusted through underneath - hidden by a new paint job - floor boards, front right frame etc.  This would be a great parts car for the mechanicals.

I also liked the 4 speed gearing - I'm looking for a nice driver around town and occasional small trip on the highway - not sure why there is so much demand for the 5 speed ???

So, I'll set up a new post - looking forward to joining the forum - going to look for another so if anyone knows of any, let me know.  I would like to find one I can check out first - unless its from a regular on the forum that will give an honest assessment.

One final Q, - I found a local craigslist for a one owner JH-5 in running condition.  From what I read on the JHPS website, there is really no benefit from this mystery car - other than the badging.
Ramp

Posted: 06-19-2011 04:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Art DeKneef

Buy both and you have your own source of parts.

The differences between the trans is small in my opinion. Both have the same final ratio in top gear, 1:1. The five speed isn't like modern 5-speed trans where the revs drop in 5th gear. The difference is the drive ratio in the rear axle, 3.45 vs 3.73.

As for available local cars I won't be able to help much there. I'm located on the other side of the country.

Art

Posted: 06-19-2011 05:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Ramp

Art DeKneef wrote: Buy both and you have your own source of parts.

Thought more than crossed my mind ! but only have room for 1 more car at the moment.

Current time is 11:54 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Questions from a possible new owner Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems