New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
replace freeze plug  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-16-2011 02:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Mason Jones

Hi all,

Every now and then I get a few brain cells to fire in sync and figure something out so thought I would post in case someone else runs into the same problem. The problem being how to replace a freeze plug on the 907 without removing the engine.

I had a rusty freeze plug with a pinhole leak dripping anti-freeze behind the exhaust header which I discovered as I was installing a new Delta performance header. I was able to remove the freeze plug by tapping the edge with a punch until it swiveled and then pulled it out with pliers. I put the punch in a socket with a long extension to reach.

The problem then was how to install the new plug as I could not get a straight shot at hammering it in with a socket. I’ve only had the car a few weeks and am not ready to pull the engine.

As a temporary fix I tried installing one of those expandable rubber freeze plugs then discovered that the nut that tightens the plug sticks out too far. The Delta header covers the entire area around the exhaust outlet and has no cutouts between the pipes like the original header. So an expandable plug might work with an original header but not with the Delta.

So it’s back to a standard freeze plug. But how to hammer it in with the suspension arm in the way of getting a straight shot? I searched the forum but no posts on freeze plugs. [BTW, without this forum there’s no way I could have successfully installed the header and exhaust system. No way!]

Then it hit me…the new header fits flush against the freeze plugs. Why not use it as a press to push the plug in? I tapped the new plug in as far as I could which was not much then put the new header in place (without the gaskets) and tightened about 4 of the easiest to reach nuts around the plug. I used the old nuts rather than the new copper ones as they’re pretty soft and I wasn’t sure how much force I would need to use.

After tightening the 4 nuts and checking that the header was flush on the manifold I removed it and sure enough, the freeze plug was all the way in. I popped the gaskets on, installed the header (as covered in gory detail elsewhere on the board) and voila!

No water leaks from the plug so far and the new exhaust system sounds fantastic! The old exhaust had 4 holes that I could see and made the car a head-turner to drive, but not in a good way.

Next up is all new water hoses as some of them appear to be original.

Mason

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-16-2011 03:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Welcome to the Forum! You are indeed very resourceful!

Now that you have tackled the header installation it should be smooth sailing. Every other repair is easier, including removing the engine.

Please take advantage of the JHP Photo Gallery so we can check out your car.

Kurt

JH 13148

Posted: 06-16-2011 10:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Mason Jones

Thanks, I'm just looking forward to driving the darn thing! I knew the hoses were old but now one is spraying out all over the place. There goes another half gallon of anti-freeze!

Yeah, replacing the header would not have been my choice for the first repair but it was necessary. And the PO had already purchased the complete performance header/exhaust system from Delta but hadn't installed it yet so I had no excuse!

This probably should be obvious but what's the difference between the projects section of the message board and the JHP Photo Gallery? Is the gallery just for photos?

Mason

Posted: 06-18-2011 12:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Hi Mason, you're correct. the photo gallery is for photos where short comments can be attached. The forum is for contacting like minded folks to get questions answered and present information.

The Projects section is intended to show progress on a project and get immediate responses from the group. Some folks have posted photos there as well. No hard rules, just enjoy as you see fit.

We try to keep the comments tech related so flame wars are minimized.

Please post your Vin # and engine number in the appropriate section for the Jensen historians out there.

Kurt

JH 13148

Posted: 06-18-2011 09:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Art DeKneef

I'm sure you thought of this already but just in case...

Since you mentioned you know the hoses are old since you will be replacing one of them you should replace all of them at the same time. Yes it will be more expensive doing it now and take longer but the alternative of getting a leak or a split hose away from home and needing a tow won't be any fun.

Plus think about changing the engine belt if you do not know the age of it. Again cheap insurance compared to the belt breaking and damaging the valves and engine.

I believe there was a discussion of what to check and change after buying a car and the condition of items is unknown but a quick search fails to give me any hits.

Good luck and welcome to the group.

Art

Posted: 06-20-2011 08:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
SpeedyMitch

Hay Mason,

Welcome to the JH community. You are in good hands with Kurt, Art, and the other long time owners on this forum.

To every new JH owner I would say the highest priority for getting a car back on the road is to replace the infamous plastic fuel line 'T' with a proper metal one (located between the carbs). Most likely the PO has already replaced it but absolutely worth a double check.

When I purchased my JH about 1.5 years ago it still had the plastic T.

Speedy Mitch

Posted: 06-21-2011 09:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Mason Jones

Hey guys, thanks for the support. I'll be honest, this forum was one of the things that cinched me buying the car. The previous owner was on the ball (and a member of JHPS) and had done a lot of the things like replacing the fuel line "T" already. Stuff he hadn't done yet he had bought the parts for (like the new exhaust system) and just hadn't gotten around to putting them on. Typical story, too many projects, not enough time.

@Art, I actually made that very mistake--replaced both radiator hoses because one was dripping but didn't even look at the others. Got back from a short trip and popped the hood to find a fine green mist spraying out of the hose that goes to the intake manifold. Now they're all getting replaced! I should probably replace the thermostat as well as I'm not sure if the PO had done that yet. I believe he had replaced the water pump with a used one.

This weekend I'm hoping to do some more work and will take some pictures and try to start a Project post.

Mason

Current time is 08:44 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > replace freeze plug Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems