Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
replace piston rings  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-13-2011 02:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Dan (Florida)

Was wondering before I start the teardown if the piston rings can be replaced without pulling the engine . With the head off the liners can be removed?? and the rings replaced from the top.  It seems like it could be done but would like to hear a success story first. Cyls 1,2,&4 are fine but the #3 smokes and fouls the plug.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-13-2011 06:48 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Why do you suspect the rings? It's most likely the valves.

I've never torn down an engine that was still in the car. If you can get the sump off it may be possible.

Last edited on 06-13-2011 07:37 pm by Jensen Healey

Posted: 06-13-2011 09:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
subwoofer

You will still have to completely dismantle the engine, doing it while still in the car is possibly doable, but I really don't see the point of the exercise. The liners are glued in, I've only tried getting them out once, but they do not come out easily like VW or Citroen liners do (O-ring seal).

Pulling the engine is not really that hard, you should be able to get it out all by yourself in an afternoon if you have a decent engine hoist, and doing so will save you a lot of work and aggravation. IMHO, any work involving opening the engine should be done with the engine in a proper engine stand.

--
Joachim

Posted: 06-13-2011 11:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Dan (Florida)

I've had the engine out of this car twice since last november, once for the rear main seal and the second time for another rear main seal and new main bearings and pulled the head completely apart and inspected/cleaned all of the valves. Everything looked good but the #3 cyl still fouls plugs.  I don't really see how much oil could get into an intake valve guide area with the cam follower bucket surrounding the valve top and the relatively upright position and good oil drainage. I am convinced that the rings are bad. I am not looking forward to pulling the exhaust and steering off just to get the head off, but it is probably better than pulling the engine clear out again and pulling it down again just to pull one piston for a ring change. 

maybe the third time will be a charm

Posted: 06-14-2011 01:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Dan, if you have low compression squirt some oil into that cylinder then check agian, if the pressure comes up sure enough bad rings, if it stays the same bad valves.

Brett

Current time is 03:25 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > replace piston rings Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems