Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > 5 spd Shifter removal help needed

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
5 spd Shifter removal help needed  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-21-2011 01:32 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
pbahr

Hi guys,

I'm in process of rebuilding several of the 5spd Shifter assemblies.

Another JH owner is interested in joining the group, but he will need to remove the Shifter assy without removing the Tranny.  I don't know how to do this, or if it is easy or difficult.

I have JH Service Buletin # 16, which states: "Remove the gear change assembly from the transmission . (Refer to five-speed transmission Workshop Manual Supplement.)"  Certainly implies it can be done without Tranny removal.

I don't have that paper.

Any help would be appreciated.  Send me a direct email: peteb01@comcast.net

Thanks,

Pete

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 03-21-2011 01:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Pete,
Yes the shifter can be removed with out much trouble at all, I don’t have the
diagram in front of me but if memory serves you pull the consul to get at the
rear mount bolt, remove the trunion clip that retains the pins, carefully you
don’t want to break it or over flex it, remove one or both pins, then the two
bolts that hold it to the trans them fish it out, if more people new how easy it
was you'd be flooded with work.

Brett

Posted: 03-21-2011 03:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
pbahr

Thanks Brett.  Please do not tell anyone how easy it is, as I'm already flooded with work ! ! ! !

YELODOG

Posted: 03-26-2011 01:44 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
rossjfox

Having just done this with kudos to Jim DeClerck for directions, here's how I did it...

1. Remove the knob and locking nut on the shifter.

2. Set the parking brake and block the rear wheels to prevent rolling.  Jack up the front high, install jack stands on both sides as wide on the frame as practical.  Same on the rear.  Get it high enough for you to get under the car and use tools.  Plug in the drop light and place it under the car.

3. Using a socket wrench remove the 4 bolts/nuts holding the drive shaft to the rear flange of the transmission.  This will allow easier access to the 2 bolts securing the shifter assembly to the rear of the transmission body.

4. Gently twist open, rotate and slide the sleeve that fits over the center of the trunnion unit.  Remove the .235" diameter pin that secures the trunnion to the end of the transmission shaft.  It should slide out easily with an appropriately sized punch.

5. Remove the nut at the rear of the shifter body that connects to the rubber vibration damping mount.

6. Remove the 2 bolts and at the front of the shifter assembly that attach it to the rear of the transmission body. 

The entire linkage should now be removable down below the car.

Ross

Current time is 12:42 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > 5 spd Shifter removal help needed Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems