New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
5 Speed Transmission  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-19-2011 01:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Lash Russell

Hello all,

I'm having my five speed mechanism rebuilt by Pete Bahr (Pete's Kits) and I'm thinking its time to address another problem I'm having with the transmission.  I had my getrag refurbished a few years ago (basically all new bearings and seals) but am still getting crunching primarilly in first and second.  Grinding is more predominant in downshifts from third to second and second to first (I manage this somewhat by matching rpm to tranny shaft speed).  I also get crunching when sitting in neutral, say at a light, etc then shifting to first and occasionally on the upshift from first to second, especially during spirited driving.

Clearly it is the synchros.  I was told that the synchros were worn and they smoothed them up a bit but only helped marginally when tranny rebuilt.  My question(s) to the group are:

- Has anybody had new synchros replaced, how were the results?

-  Where did you get the synchros from?

-  Is there anything else that can be done to help mitigate the problem (different tranny lube, more slack on release bearing, etc) that has helped in similar cases?

Any info, thoughts, ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Lash

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 03-20-2011 02:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Lash, Mitch Ware posted a while back with the part numbers for the 5 speed syncro's he had his rebuilt, if he doesn't respond to you I will go thru my assorted files and try and dig the info out, they are available I think he stated thru BMW.

Brett

Posted: 03-21-2011 12:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Lash Russell

Thanks Brett,

I did some searching back in the forum and found an earlier posting from Mitch:

"I just found out that the synchros that I need are available.

It was a bit of a circuitous route, but I got the BMW part numbers from a guy in LA for the parts, called my local BMW dealer and he is ordering them. It should take about a week to get them in from Germany.

FYI:
3rd gear synchro is part # 23231200774
4th gear synchro is part # 23231200737

Mitch - #19670"

Hopefully Mitch has numbers for first and second gear synchros.

Lash

Posted: 05-28-2011 05:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
StevenD57

I also think that the folks at 2002AD.com were the ones who were able to get the parts for the Getrag 235/5 transmission since it was also used as a rare special option in early BMW 2002 cars.

Current time is 03:20 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > 5 Speed Transmission Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems