Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Alternator removal and refit

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Alternator removal and refit  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 02-25-2011 06:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
rossjfox

Can someone please explain in detail how to remove and refit the distributor?

The board is filled with warnings about "never doing this under penalty of death".  I suspect that's a bit of exageration.  Bottom line is that my distributor needs cleaning and rebuilding as the weights are sticking, so I'm not sure I have much of a choice.

The manual talks about starting with cylinder 1 at TDC, and marking the position of the rotor prior to removal so it can be lined back up upon reinstallation.  No real details after that, just remove and reinstall.

So what needs to be done to tackle the job?  What pitfalls should be looked for & how do I avoid them?  What makes this such a PIA?  Access looks difficult, but can this be done without removing the carbs?

Thanks in advance.

Ross

Last edited on 02-25-2011 10:48 pm by rossjfox

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 02-25-2011 09:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Ron Mau

Hi Ross,
The alternator isn't that much trouble and you don't have to remove the carbs.
There are 3 bolts that secure the alternator. The one on top that you can see, one under the alternator that secures it to the adjustment bar and one that secures the adjustment bar to the engine block. The wires should just be a push fit unless you have upgraded the alternator. Be sure and make notes on the wiring if it is not the push on variety,because I won't be any help then.
It's a relatively easy job to do.

Ron Mau

Last edited on 02-25-2011 09:53 pm by Ron Mau

Posted: 02-25-2011 10:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
rossjfox

Thanks Ron!

But I had a total brain burp!  I meant to say DISTRIBUTOR, not alternator. 

Maybe the question makes more sense now.  Sorry!

Ross

(original post edited)

Last edited on 02-25-2011 10:49 pm by rossjfox

Posted: 02-26-2011 12:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
JodyKerr

Well now that is a hose of a different colour! So abandon all hope ye who enter here, or some such.

Actually, it can be done without a lot of anguish so long as you are patient.

Do the TDC thing. Then remove your air filters (I'm assuming it's a strongest set up and you've put k&n or similar air filters on it).

Remove the distributor cap and pull it back towards the firewall. Pull the rotor off as well. Then loosen the 7/16 nut at holds the distributor in place. It will eventually want to pop out. Then pull it straight back towards the firewall then wiggle it clear of the carbs.

It's a patience game.

Posted: 02-26-2011 12:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
JodyKerr

Dang, pardon the wacky typos. Still figuring out the autocorrect on this iPad.

Jody

Posted: 02-26-2011 04:53 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Art DeKneef

Also you want to note the bottom position of the shaft. There is a "key" so to speak on the bottom that fits into a "keyway" inside. The key has to slide into the keyway when installing the distributor. If the distributor doesn't fit all the way down inside, this is usually the reason why.

Also check the distributor o-ring and replace if needed. Forgetting to put the o-ring back on will cause oil to leak through and cause problems later.

Art

Posted: 02-26-2011 02:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
rossjfox

Thanks.  I knew this couldn't be as bad as some said. 

Ross

Posted: 02-26-2011 03:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
SpeedyMitch

rossjfox wrote: I knew this couldn't be as bad as some said.

Having just gone through this procedure some things I might add...

You will need to reset the timing once you get the new distributor installed. If you are happy with your current timing you should mark it on the pulley prior to making any changes. Be ready with your timing light when you first start it.

It looks like you have a '74 so this may not apply. A few of us have noticed that our (early engine?) distributor is 180-degrees "off" (i.e. #1 cylinder wire is on the opposite side of the distributor cap from what is typical and documented). As recommended, I marked everything as I took it apart and was careful to line things up when I put it back together.

Last edited on 02-26-2011 03:43 pm by SpeedyMitch

Posted: 02-27-2011 06:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
pbahr

As I recall, the keyway is off-set on the bottom, and thus will only seat when rotated to the correct position.  It can not be assembled 180 degrees off.

Pete Bahr

Current time is 10:52 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Alternator removal and refit Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems