Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
lucas distributor 41584  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 02-06-2011 05:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
gradea

Ok, here is an interesting issue that I came upon in replacing my distributor. The original distributor has #1 position pointing up at TDC with the offset dog to the left when viewing down.  The replacement distributor has just the opposite.  I considered changing the firing order on the cap, but opted for drifting out the rolled pin and repositioning the dog 180 degrees.  I am still concerned that the enginge ignition may be 180 out but Lucas books do not state the position of the rotor at #1 firing.  Does anyone know the prefered position, if it matters, or is the engine out 180 to the distributor. I thought I checked that I was on the firing stroke with the original distributor in...it timed ok @ 8 degress and runs although I am still having issues with SMOOTH running as opposed to rough.  I do not know the history of my original distributor-it may have been altered. I now have a Pertronix module in the replacement unit and the rotor pointing up at #1 position...next I will replace the coil with the Pertronix 3 ohm unit and eliminate the ballast resistor and hope for a better running condition.  I would first like to resolve the dog issue before starting.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 02-06-2011 07:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

I'd have to look at a spare dizzy to picture what your saying but what comes to mind would be the location of the centrifical advance wieghts, would changing the dog location put them on the retard side of the curve. my thought

Brett

Posted: 02-08-2011 10:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
gradea

Hi Brett-yea, good question but I installed the Petronix mod & coil after rotating the dog and all worked fine...getting about 15 plus degrees of advance when reved and so I believe the weights are functioning correctly...still not getting a smooth running car, so I am sending it over to Eugene to the Sports Car Shop to diagnois.  Here is their theory:  The only part that I did not change on the Stromberg carbs was the jets.  I did have new ones, but the the books advised against changing them, so I did not install them.  Bob, at the Sports car Shop, has seen an example of the bleed hole in the jet plugged up and causing the carb to flood.  This makes sense as I have the dampner adjustments backed all the way out counter-clockwise and am still too rich. This problem has plagued the car since I put it together.  All this does not give us an answer to why the replacement distributor had the dog swapped 180 but that must be another story.  Thanks for your input. Hope all is not to snowy in Hilton.  My sister-in-law is here, in Oregon, visiting from Hilton...she's glad to be visiting.   Regards, Hank

Current time is 08:27 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Ignition > lucas distributor 41584 Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems