Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Stone Guards  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 02-03-2011 10:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
RG

I completed some behind the front wings sill repairs. Ground, sanded and coated  the sills and inner wings etc. I installed new front stone guards and weather seals.

The factory weather seal..... seals only the stone guard to wing edge.  It appears that the bottom of the stone guard is formed to provide drainage if not caulked.

Should the stone guards be sealed/caulked to provide a mechanical seal along its entire perimeter or should the inner wing be able to breath?

My inner sills had rust perferations and I replaced them with new sheet metal. Did they originally have weep holes allowing moisture to drain into the Rockers? 

Thanks Rob

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 02-04-2011 05:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Rob

The stone guards were not caulked, they did have a coating of rust proof as with the inner fender, at least on the cars I have. Rocker does have a hole in the front inner fender area as well to allow drainage, fender was seam sealed at top along engine compartment and against door hinge were it attaches but not along bottom between the lower fender and sill, it should have a 8 to 10" long X16" thick X 1/2 to 3/4 wide plastic strip as a gasket to seperate the two but not to seal.

Brett

Last edited on 02-04-2011 05:17 pm by Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Posted: 02-04-2011 08:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
RG

Hey Brett....thanks for the reply!

What would it be more advantageous for the longevity of the JH's body. Should the inner fender void be sealed or breath/drain out through the stone guard?

Rob

Posted: 02-05-2011 02:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Rob, the area needs to breath, dirt will find away in no matter how hard to try to seal it should it get damp from rain condensation or what ever it will stay damp and start to rot, the rear stone guard by the door shut pillar is a great example of a none breating area.

Ideally the best way to keep these areas rust free is to take the stone guards off every couple of years and clean them out.

Brett

Posted: 02-05-2011 03:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
SpeedyMitch

Brett Gibson JH5 20497 wrote: Ideally the best way to keep these areas rust free is to take the stone guards off every couple of years and clean them out.

Just last month I went through and opened up, inspected, and cleaned up all 6 inner fender voids. The rear-forward voids (between the rear wheel and the door) were badly rusted and needed repair. While the others were in good shape they all had some surface rust.

I'm not sure how long this will last, but for the voids that were in good condition I sprayed two coats of "Rust-Oleum Rust Reformer" into the spaces. I have used this product on other old car projects with great results.

http://rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=40

If you do this be sure to tape the openings at the door for the forward voids.

Posted: 02-05-2011 10:27 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
RG

Brett and Mitch,

Thanks for the heads-up! I will open and inspect all the voids.

The sills in the voids behind the front wheels had rust perforations. I fabricated and installed new sill pans. Did they originally have weep/drain holes into the rocker voids?

Rob

Posted: 02-06-2011 01:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
SpeedyMitch

RG wrote: Did they originally have weep/drain holes into the rocker voids?

Yes. Both the front and rear-forward voids have drains into the rocker voids.

The rockers have drain holes as well.

Current time is 03:29 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Stone Guards Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems