Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > misfire under load at 4600 rpm or so

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
misfire under load at 4600 rpm or so  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 01-26-2011 03:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
andrewo

I have been driving the car more lately, and have noticed that up around 4600 rpm under load in 3rd gear, I just lose power. It almost feels like the engine isn't getting fuel, or isn't firing. No problem in lower gears, or out of gear, but when headed up a hill, or an on-ramp. it is stumbling. The only way around is to up shift or let off the gas. It seems like it might be a carb problem, but I still running points, so could be ignition. Or even a vacuum leak.

Any thoughts?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 01-26-2011 03:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
JodyKerr

Step 1 - Fuel delivery, make sure you've got a clean fuel filter

Step 2 - Timing - make sure it's on, points clean, etc.

Step 3 - Carb - check for lean condition.

Posted: 01-26-2011 04:31 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Hi Andrew,

You can run to redline under load in 2nd gear but not 3rd? That doesnt seem possible. Please test again.

Power loss at higher RPM is usually a fuel delivery issue. Which gear you are in shouldn't matter though. 

I would guess either the fuel pump isn't doing it's job or the filters are clogged. 

Kurt

Posted: 01-27-2011 12:58 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
CarlosThe Jacker

Are you possibly hearing a crinkling noise when the power loss occurs, faint like someone making and aluminum foil ball under the hood? If you downshift, does it get better? You said upshift, what happens if you jump to fourth? Do these trans have bearings that could be going and only affecting 3rd?

Otherwise agree with previous answers, also wires, points, anything in the secondary could be it.

Posted: 01-31-2011 11:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Dan Collier

Check the ground wire inside the distributor. I once had a problem of intermittent running. Plagued for months. I replaced the points and condensers a couple times before finding the braided ground strap had broken wires inside.

Posted: 02-16-2011 09:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
andrewo

Turned out to be fuel delivery after all, but the pump is fine. Just a lot of crud getting sucked into the lines and the filter. It definitely was worse under load and in high gears, which I agree is strange, but I swear true. I had no problem getting to 6 grand in 2nd.

Running fine now. Thanks for the responses.

Current time is 12:55 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > misfire under load at 4600 rpm or so Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems