Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
5 speed shifter  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 01-18-2011 03:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
jbuglass

I would like the 5 speed shifter that Pete Bahr makes but he only makes them in batches of three

Is there anyone else out there that would like to improve the quality of their 5 speed shift that would like to join me You can see the kits at
http://www.jhppg.com/peteskits.htm
They look extremely well made

Jason

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 01-18-2011 07:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Pete's stuff is very well made indeed, he takes his time to do things right.

The real problem was at the factory, who in blue blaze's use's plastic bushings in shifter pivots and the lower steering shaft support, just changing those items over to bronze reduces a large amount of the play.

Pete theirs another product suggestion for you the steering bushing, Delta only sell's plastic replacements and when I bought mine I think I paid about $40, heck I bought a bronze one that was close ($5) and machined it, last's a life time.

Brett

Posted: 01-19-2011 04:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
pbahr

Brett, thanks for the kudos....... As you know, I'm happy to support the JH owners. You know the three guys that got the last batch and they're happy as a pig in mud wallow.

Just a few comments:
  • Because of machine shop set-up time it is not cost effective to do less than three units at a time.
  • Yes, the Nylon bushings are the worst offender, but there are two other important joints that must also be addressed.  You can see the new bronze bushings at the end of the aluminum casting.  Also the 0.235 pin holes are always hourglass shaped and require re-machining and an appropriate sized new, case-hardened pin.
  • Rebuilding the shifter takes lots of my time making measurements of all the parts, and sometimes requiring new drawings for special cases.
  • JH community is lucky that I've found a small machine shop that will take the jobs I bring in - but I'm not generally on top of their priority list ! ! !
  • I don't like to personally promote my stuff, lest folks think I'm funding my retirement with these sales.  As I said above, I do this to support the JH owners who either don't have the time or the knowledge to personally accomplish these tasks.
Hopefully, Jason's post will yield a couple of more interested owners.
 YELODOG

Attachment: 14 Lube ready sm.jpg (Downloaded 26 times)

Posted: 01-19-2011 07:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
jgreen

Hi,

I am one of the extremely happy owners of Pete's 5 Speed shifter Upgrade. In fact... in my Jensen GT restoration Blog.........I tried to show the step by step process Pete goes through from start to finish with pictures. The curious can go to..... http://jensengt.blogspot.com/

Pete does fantastic work and my shifter works perfect and is very tight.

Oh..... BRETT does fantastic work on JH's also and really fixed up my GT so it runs great!

JOhn

Posted: 01-20-2011 12:05 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Lash Russell

Yes, I'll go in on that if we can find another.

Lash

Posted: 01-20-2011 12:53 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
JodyKerr

I suppose that if someone twisted my arm I might be convinced to go in on one.

Posted: 01-20-2011 12:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Art DeKneef

Heck. I'll probably need one at some time.

Posted: 01-20-2011 04:23 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
pbahr

Hi Guys,

Like I said above, I'm not pushing this item, but rather just trying to support the JH community.
  • Anyone that is seriously interested must send a direct email to me at: peteb01@comcast.net  As we need to start a detailed dialogue.
  • For those JH owners that do not frequent this Forum, one, or more, of you should initiate a thread on the email exploder jensen-cars@british-steel.org .
  • If we get more than 3 people, I'm sure that I can reduce the price a bit (and it will certainly ruduce my unit labor hours required).
  • All involved will have to come to a common agreement on schedule.  As it takes about 8 weeks process time, it's important that we do this before the summer driving time.
  • Check out John's blog, above, and you'll get a better appreciation of what's involved with this re-work.
Thanks for your interest, and SEND ME AN EMAIL ! ! !

Pete

Posted: 01-20-2011 09:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Lash Russell

OK everyone interested in the rebuilt shifter.  Pete's right about getting this going so we can enjoy the shifters for the summer.  I've already sent Pete an e-mail to get mine going.

Posted: 01-24-2011 08:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
pbahr

OK folks, I now have enough orders to start a build.  Cores will be going to the machine shop in a few weeks, so if you need one this may be your only chance.

Since the lot is large enough to cover set-up costs, I'd like to build a spare for inventory but........  problem is, that I don’t have a spare Shifter Assy to do this.

Thus, I’m looking for a SHIFTER ASSEMBLY from someone who has an extra, or perhaps left over from a Toyota conversion, or a parts car etc.

Any help would be appreciated,

Pete Bahr

Current time is 10:47 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > 5 speed shifter Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems