Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
AIR BOX Jensen Healey  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 12-29-2010 02:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Anton

AIR FILTER BOX/CAN Jensen Healey (nr: 92373)

Is there anyone who can inform me about the right  COLOR OF THE FACTORY AIR BOX ASSY for the Jensen Healey MKI?  The exact paint code, detailed pictures, description of the treatment or any other possible sample would be welcome.  

Email:  anton_raaymakers@xs4all.nl

Anton

Last edited on 01-26-2011 04:59 pm by Anton

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 12-29-2010 08:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Art DeKneef

I was at Delta Motorsports yesterday and Jim is looking at having this reproduced. He had the pieces setting on the counter waiting to go to the fabricator. No idea on availablity or cost. Just a FYI in case you don't find anything you can give Jim a call and see what he has.

I have some but would have to find them in all the boxes I have. Also, they are different if I remember correctly. One came form a JH MK2, the other from a Jensen GT.

Art

Posted: 01-05-2011 09:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

I saw Richard Reyman at West Coast Cylinder Heads not long ago and he had an interesting story about that goofy looking factory air box which may shock many owners. He dyno'd a performance 907 engine he had built and tried it with and then without the factory air filter assembly. The factory air box ADDED several horsepower to the run (nothing else was different). He tried it multiple times with the same results. Has to do with the way the air is directed into the carbs (Dellortos). The factory airbox assembly is bit more sophisticated that it looks. So not only does the factory air box quiet down the engine roar, it also helps performance. When you run without filters (which is a very bad idea in itself) or bolt on K&N air filters, you are essentially removing a small performance advantage over the stock system.

Posted: 01-05-2011 10:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
JodyKerr

Wow, that's totally counter the commonly held beliefs!

Does he have any data for the Stromberg setup?

Posted: 01-05-2011 10:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

No, I don't see Richard putting Strombergs on anything.

Posted: 01-06-2011 08:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
James Sohl

The slight increase is likely the result of the airbox acting as a plenum chamber.  I am not aware of the air flow capacity of the stock air filter under standard conditions, however I doubt it is very much different than individual filters, despite the obvious differences in appearance.  I have read that the Lotus Twin Cam engine was designed for use with a plenum chamber and that, at least with Strombergs, no performance increase should be expected by a change to individual filters.  I will try to find that statement.  Many modern street engines and most modern un-boosted race engines are fitted with plenum chambers.  A plenum can be fitted either before or after the throttle plates, although usually before.  I'm not aware of a use of both locations on the same engine, but it would certainly be possible.

Posted: 01-06-2011 11:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
John Young

Is it possible that with stock filter box , it is drawing in more cold air ,thus the increase that he was recording. The farther the intake of air is from the heat source the colder the air.

Last edited on 01-06-2011 11:28 pm by John Young

Posted: 01-06-2011 11:36 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

Cold air is always optimal, but I don't think it make any difference in this case since the engine was out of the car. As James mentioned, the air box is essentially an air distribution chamber that directs the intake into the stubby air trumpets on the Dellortos. The space inside seems small, but's certainly doing something. It's worth noting that the 907 was designed to use Dellortos. I would presume a lot of development work went toward that while the addition of Strombergs were more of a "Plan B" to simply get the JH into the American market and generate sales.

Posted: 01-26-2011 05:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Anton

Hi,

I contacted Delta, but they are not working on any remanufacturing of the Airbox !!

Posted: 01-26-2011 05:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
JodyKerr

I'm not suprised. There's very little call for the air filter/cold air box on the Jensen Healey as most people replace it with K&N Filters.

Your best bet for finding one will be on ebay until I get my new project online.

I've attached a photo I recently recieved from a new JH owner that has a very original car.

Jody

Attachment: JHAirBox.jpg (Downloaded 103 times)

Posted: 01-26-2011 08:04 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
subwoofer

I've got an airbox I won't be using anymore as I've tossed out the Strombergs and hope to never see them again. I haven't been able to get myself to throw it away, so you can have it if you pay the postage.

I don't think it is cracked or otherwise destroyed, but it could probably do with a cleaning.

--
Joachim

Posted: 01-27-2011 04:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
subwoofer

Anton: I see you sent me a PM, but the browser I normally use can't open the PM - and I can't seem to remember the password so I could use Firefox. Could you email me at jpihl@broadpark.no?

--
Joachim

Posted: 01-28-2011 06:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Anton

Hi,

I dropped you an Email.

Regards, Anton

Current time is 10:12 am