Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Brakes > Maintenance on Rear Brakes?

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Maintenance on Rear Brakes?  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 12-25-2010 06:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
SpeedyMitch

After having a stuck brake piston I have gone through the front brakes. As expected the seals were deteriorated and the pistons and calipers were rusty. They cleaned up nicely and I have just finished reassembly with new front brake hoses, pads, and caliper 'rebuild' kits from Delta. I had the rotors turned at a local shop (still > 8mm thickness). I'll be bleeding the brakes and refilling with Castrol GT LMA.

As long as I'm bleeding the system is there any maintenance I should do no the rear brakes (Girling, VIN 12827)? The (single) brake hose appears to be in good shape but I'll replace it if I can find it locally.

I have had no issues with the rear brakes (the parking brake seems to hold OK) so unless somebody says 'check this' I'm going to just leave it alone.

Thanks in advance,

Speedy Mitch

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 12-25-2010 08:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
JodyKerr

Speedy Mitch,

The rear drums are pretty bog standard, so normal use rules apply to them. As long as the wheel cylinders aren't weeping, you should be good. As weith eveything, you can always just pop a drum off to take a quick gander.

Tearing loose and restoring the entire system (which I just did) is a bit of work mainly because you have to pull the axle half shafts to get the backing plates off.

Jody

Posted: 12-31-2010 04:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
SpeedyMitch

JodyKerr wrote: just pop a drum off to take a quick gander.

Much to my surprise the drums are mirror smooth, the shoes have lots of material, and the whole assembly looks new. The PO must have replaced the rear brakes relatively recently.

Given that the front brakes were in terrible shape and the fluid I drained out was dark with contamination I really expected the rear to be in similar condition.

Current time is 02:37 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Brakes > Maintenance on Rear Brakes? Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems