Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Suspension > Sreering rack removal and replacement

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Sreering rack removal and replacement  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 12-10-2010 03:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
txk

73 Jensen -- I have removed the rack and pinion assembly. I may have made a mistake in that after undoing the two frame mounting bolts I removed the bottom bolt from the lowest universal joint. Now I find that reinserting the splined column from the new rack and pinion box is extremely difficult if not imposible with the steering column in place.

HELP!!!

Gary Smith

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 12-10-2010 12:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
JodyKerr

Gary,

Remove the frame mounting bolts from the rack. Loosen the upper bolt to that lower universal joint and slide it free from the steering. You mentioned you removed the lower bolt yes? Put it back in place and try the steering without the column in place, make sure it's aligned/working correctly. If not you may have to pull the unit entirely to check the pinion alignment.

Providing it's aligned ok, spray some lubricant on the steering column end. Slide the rack up onto the splined end. One on there loosely, then push the rack upagainst the frame and set the frame bolts. Do a quick steering wheel turn to make sure things are aligned correctly and not binding. If it is, wiggle & adjust the rack. When it's good, tighten everything down.

Jody

Posted: 12-10-2010 11:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
txk

Jody,

Thanks for the advice . I will try your suggestion.

Gary

Current time is 10:15 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Suspension > Sreering rack removal and replacement Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems