Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
No Start - Smoke  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 12-05-2010 12:24 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
jarnol123

If you're a regular you've probably seen some of my posts and my problems trying to start my jensen.

Here's what I've done so far...

1. installed new pertronix flamethrower and ignitor.
2. Verified spark is good.
3. checked fuel is getting to dellorto carbs..no blockages.
4. when i do crank and then stop I noticed some smoke coming out of the carb when i open the throttle manually (#4 cylinder).

When i crank the engine turns over no problem but won't start...i get a "puffing" type noise like it's trying to start but can't.

Any ideas?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 12-05-2010 03:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Not enough info .......

Do a compression test to see if your engine is any good

Align the crank at TDC, do the cam marks line up, is the distributor rotor pointing at the #1 spark plug lead, pull the #1 plug is the piston at the top, do you have the spark plug wires in the right firing order, whats the condition of the cap and rotor, any carbon build up ......

Did you clean up the wiring connections.

Did the car run before what ever you did to it, can you undo what you did to see if it will run.

Is this the car that was turning over slow ???

I feel bad for you but you need to verify the basic's, Dell's are another issue entirely but if you havent touched them since it did run, (Knockwood). they may not be a problem.

Brett

Posted: 12-05-2010 03:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
jarnol123

Ok compression was fine last time it ran but a little low. I did the alignment..fine..spark at #1 plug. Wires in correct firing order, etc. cap and rotor are new. some carbon build up on spark plug #4...this is the only one that gets carbon build up..
One thing I do notice..and this has been constant throughout all of this effort...is that the engine shakes a lot during cranking and I seem to have exhaust smoke coming out about half way back of the car. Is it possible that the exhaust could be blocked and this is why the car won't start?

Brett Gibson JH5 20497 wrote:
Not enough info .......

Do a compression test to see if your engine is any good

Align the crank at TDC, do the cam marks line up, is the distributor rotor pointing at the #1 spark plug lead, pull the #1 plug is the piston at the top, do you have the spark plug wires in the right firing order, whats the condition of the cap and rotor, any carbon build up ......

Did you clean up the wiring connections.

Did the car run before what ever you did to it, can you undo what you did to see if it will run.

Is this the car that was turning over slow ???

I feel bad for you but you need to verify the basic's, Dell's are another issue entirely but if you havent touched them since it did run, (Knockwood). they may not be a problem.

Brett

Posted: 12-06-2010 12:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
jarnol123

Ok...I can get it running briefly when I spray carb cleaner into the body with the throttle open.  I know gas is getting to the dellorto carb but it seems it's not getting to the engine.

What are the known causes of carb blockage? I need to run through them to see why gas isn't getting through the carb.

Can anyone give me a 1,2,3, step guide? I mean there can't be many places where the gas would get blocked, right?

Posted: 12-06-2010 01:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

you might have gotten something into the carbs that is plugging or reducing the gas flow, do you have a filter on the gas feed line. Try pulling the jets and cleaning them up, if possible check what your gasline pressure is, should be around 3.5 psi, give or take.

And yes if the exhaust is blocked it wont let you run, not sure what could cause that.

Brett  

Last edited on 12-06-2010 01:14 pm by Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Posted: 12-06-2010 02:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
jarnol123

Ok will do.

Current time is 10:45 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Carburetors > No Start - Smoke Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems