Home 

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
Ron Earp

Anyone know anything about available LSD's for this rear axle? I know the axle is a Vauxhall part, anyone know what cars it was used in and if there are LSDs available for it?

I bet the topic has been beat to death, but I just wanted to bring it up again. I really wouldn't want a clutch pack system since it'd probably require a lot of maintenence every few race weekends for best performance, I'd prefer a welded diff as I have now even though it is going to require a funky car setup to go fast.

But, a Quaiffe, now that would be fantastic.  I'm just wondering what to ask for when I attempt to talk to someone about one.

Best,

Ron

pc

Yes, this has been a topic of much discussion.

Here's the "Reader's Digest Condensed version" as best as I can remember (no guarantees of accuracy):

The axle came from the Vauxhall Viva and its sportier variant, the Firenza. None came with LSD as an option. Vauxhall's competition department made a very small number of units for factory-backed teams but nobody has ever seen one. (I would assume they were Salisbury type but who knows?)

Racers often weld them up and just live the hassle of a spool.

There have been a couple of JH's customized with other axles.

Once upon a time Dave Bean was taking deposits to have Quaife make some ATB diffs. As I understand it Quaife didn't get around to it back then and DBE eventually dropped it and refunded deposits.

Recently one of our clubbers started the Quaife idea up again and a bunch of us showed interest. This activity ran out of steam at some point.

I've been thinking of taking up the cause again myself but for me it's on a back burner right now.

PC.

Judson Manning

Ron,

The Vauxhall LDS is part of a completely different axle purportedly code named '052'.  As you're aware, changing the entire axle wouldn't be IT legal.  The factory Huffaker cars should have them, and I've seen a few JH5 cars with what could be that housing, but can't confirm.

Over the years, numerous times suppliers and independent people have tried to get Quaiff to build something for our axle.  Every time it's fallen through.  At roughly $2k each that's a Production/GT3 type of budget item.  However, that problem has already been solved much more reliably with the use of the Toyota axle & factory LSD.

A problem I've noticed in trying to adapt an Auburn Gear, etc. type of LSD, is the size of our tiny ring-gear.  Auburn's smallest is ~7-5/8" vs. what looks like ~6" for our diff.  Someone please confirm...

Recently I found http://www.phantomgrip.com and spoke with them about their technology.  They will do 1-offs for ~$350, and less expensive in volume; I thought about talking w/ Greg about it after I shipped a diff for them to look at and did some evaluation....perhaps you can be our guinne pig?

I don't know if the phantomgrip is a permanent solution, but it appears to be a quick and dirty solution, and much more appealing than having a locked axle snap.  Just ask Joe Huffaker about that experience!

Judson

Ron Earp

Ahhhhh.....the Phantom Slip as we call it over on http://www.gt40s.com

A few people have tried these with GT40s and a few have tried them in SCCA IT.  Nobody that I know (know well, do know of some working but don't really know the people) has been satisfied with the results.  It is essentially a spring that goes in the spider gears and the reports from people I have trusted said:

1) Didn't do squat except lighten my wallet $400.

2) Seemed to work slightly, before the pressure on the spiders ruined the bearing races.

3) Didn't do squat, except ruined the bearing races.

I might be tempted to try it though because I do know of one FWD car running one and they love it.  Seems with low horsepower cars like the JH, lots of FWD cars, etc. there might be a chance, but the ones I've seen give negative results are all over 400 real horsepower with torque to match.

Last edited on 06-01-2005 07:23 pm by Ron Earp

Harkes

I know Garry Kemps, who is building my engine, is driving around with an LSD. Unfortunately i have no idea what type. If i get the chance i'll ask him.

erik harkes

Mark Rosenbaum

FWIW, I ran across the page at the link below, concerning 9-bolt rear ends, in which a JH application is mentioned in passing.  Unfortunately I don't know enough about rear ends to know if this'll be of any value or not, but thought I'd point it out in case there was something of interest there.

http://www.automotiveforums.com/t414786.html

Last edited on 08-18-2005 08:19 pm by Mark Rosenbaum

normv

I finaly have my new Jensen LSD diff I picked it up a few weeks ago from my diff man, So it can be done, it only took 9 months but at least I have it now and if it all works as it should for the first couple of races I will have another made as we now have all of the measurements to allow a proper hemisphere to be made next time (there have been 3 failed attempts so far at this) I will add a few minor changes of things I am not happy with and I will use this one in my road car.

Unfortunately there are no standard parts used here except the clutches as I understand it. So it is not a off the shelf item and did require a few minor modifications to the pinion and housing, fortunately I had spare gears made when they were doing them so I have a set for the next one.

Attachment: JH_LSD2.jpg (Downloaded 421 times)

Ron Earp

Nice work, that is a good job and I know you'll enjoy it. What sort of carrier did you guys end up using? Might be of some use to me if I have one built. I met a fellow racer who basically does only that - building LSDs for people and can do them in whatever housing we have. 

Do you race the car in a series that requires use of the stock rear end? I've always thought the Ford 7.5" from a 83-87 Thunderbird TurboCoupe would be a nice one - has disc brakes and you can purchase many off the shelf LSDs for the unit. Just narrow it a bit and make some mounting points. Unfortunately, I must use the stocker so I can't pursue this route.

Ron

Jon Plowe

Hi,

The LSD seems a very rare and expensive beast over there with you lot. The flip side of having had to have to put up with 1970's asthmatic rusting Vauxhalls in the uk is that such rare parts are at least possible to come by. The 052 axle mentions appears from time to time on ebay. I have read that mk1 Cavaliars (Viva/Firenza based) had LSD's as an option. I'm told you can modify an axle from a Isuzu Piazza (a what??) which had a floor pan and running gear heavily based on the Opel Kadette/Vauxhall Chevette - I have seen pictures and it looks very similar. When all said and done I think getting one custom made is the most practical solution - unless you want change the axle which brings up the question of originality, etc.

Cheers

Jon

normv

The car will be raced in historic racing in Australia and has to run the original diff housing but the internals are free,.

I don’t know what the carrier is from. Questions like that to the diff guy are met with they were specials from years ago, I know he used to do work for the factory Daihatsu rally and off road teams in Australia years ago and the only carrier he had left was wrecked by the first machinist which his why we were trying having some billet ones made, but in the end he was able to buy one back from someone he had sold a quantity of them to a few years ago. Now we have a prototype to take measuremtns from future billet ones should be no problem.

Even if we were got hold of one of these they are not a direct fit they had to be shorten at the centre face and widened quite a bit where the bearings go as it was to narrow and the shape of the case prevents it from fitting otherwise (if you look at the photo you will see a shiny section at the to left of the LSD unit this is where the housing had to be relieved slightly to provide enough clearance despite having also machined down the carrier, This makes me think that the Vauxhall competition LSD did not use this housing but a different one. I would be interested to know if this was the case, as we have diff in Australia which is LSD fitted to 6cyl LC-LJ torana’s( the next model to the HB which was the Vauxhall Viva effectively in Australia) but has the diff center bolt in from the front, whilst the 4cyl LC used the Vauxhall/Jensen design. Just a note the Super pro front bushes Greg sells are are for the LC and the rears from the HB torana.

Norm

Pat Connor

With some work you can install a GM 10 Bolt rear end out of a '89-04' S10 GM pickup truck.  It is 54" wide at the axel flange same as Jensen. The lower arms can be used as is.  The upper arms must be built new as the differential is too wide to install axel brackets in the stock location. 

I made new arms out of 1 1/4" tube bet at 45 deg. dogleg  using 1/2" rod end bearings on the chassis end and poly bushings at the other.  I made both ends adjustable for ease of alignment.  Brackets and a polybushing were welded to the axel housing.  Streight arms would be better if new chassis bracket were constructed, however a panhard rod or track bar is necessary for harizontal alignment with either setup.

The stock GM brales are 10" drums same as Jensen Healey but with 1/4" wider lining.  Tjos axel will accept several LSD's including the Torson.  If you wanted to have a real sleeper new axels could be made up with the 4 on 4" bolt pattery by Currie, etc.  Also there are  axel ratios available from 2.73 to 4.56.

Using a salvage rearend and new bearings, seals, drums and linings I have less than $900 invested so far and it is ready to run.

Judson Manning

Pat,

You are exactly correct!  I investigated this option for my E-prod car extensively, but it would be illegal for me to use it.  Technically the 2x4 axle is 54.5" wide and the 4x4 is 59" and the JH drum is 9", but none of that is important.  How about those GM vented Aluminum drums saving a bunch of weight???

Later S10 axles have disc brakes (too big for JH wheels) and an 8" ring gear vs. the 7-5/8" on earlier models.  For comparison the JH ring gear is something like 6".  The thought of buying almost ANY LSD off the shelf for $300-$400 is extremely appealing!

The SCCA legal Toyota rear end is another option, but requires even more machine work and fabrication than the S10.  More detail when I get further along with my E-prod car....

Judson

Pat Connor

Judson

Thanks for the corrections and info.  Good Luck with your Jensen.

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems