Home 

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
philharmonic

No snap or clunk just stopped working. I haven't had time to inspect the car. Just had to tow her for the first time. I have put some 15k miles driving as a daily use car. Then without warning the car 8837 will not go into gear with the engine running. stop the engine and it goes in and out of all gears. Cable is working and seems to have the proper pivot point. Just no action? I am hoping the clutch plate is stuck or the t/b is failing or the fork is bent. ERRRG i will find out this weekend when i can inspect the car closely. Is it a better idea to drop the trans or pull the engine and trans as a unit like an MG?

subwoofer

If you remove the gear lever first, pulling the gearbox is fairly straight forward.

--
Joachim

philharmonic

Thanks Joachim,
I will be disassembling it this weekend

Dan (Florida)

Before you start disassembling big stuff, try checking to see if the clutch fork hasn't fallen off it's pivot. It can do that if the clutch cable isn't taken up enough. When taken up, the clutch should disengage with about 1-1/12" of pedal travel.  I would look over the shift linkage as well although I don't think you can see much without pulling the transmission.      Pulling the engine is not a fun job!!

hth Dan

philharmonic

Thanks Dan,
I talked to Jim at Delta and I did a preliminary inspection. The clutch release lever is defiantly loose and moving around seems to be off its pivot. Jim said he was able to put it back on it's pivot without removing the transmission. He made it sound nearly impossible. I will try to put it back on it's pivot. It may be easier to pull the transmission. Thanks for the advice.

Brett Gibson JH5 20497

The pivot is not all that difficult to place back on, just takes a little time, when I reinstalled my trans I knocked it off but was able to get it in place from underneath.

philharmonic

Really? Replace it from underneath? I will give it a try this weekend.
Thanks Brett

subwoofer

If I remember correctly from when I had the transmission out this summer: If you disconnect the clutch wire and the return spring, getting the pivot back on is no biggie, even with everything in place. If you don't, you could easily struggle for a while.

Just beware: until the wire and spring is back on, the fork comes out easily again.

--
Joachim

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems