Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Well Duh  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 10-24-2010 04:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
dwalls1

I am always pleased with myself when I can set the static timing on 17798 with the buzzer on my multi meter, but again I failed to tighten the clamp bolt and the distributor popped out about a mile from the house. I walked back, and the wife took me to the car armed with what I knew would be the tools I'd need. I told her I would only be a minute or two and sent her back to the house. The 12mm wrench I was sure I needed to tighten the clamp bolt, should have been 7/16ths. I was able to snug it up enough to get me home, but when will I learn that my micrometer eye is not what it used to be, or ever was. Sigh, "the Devil is in the details"

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 10-24-2010 02:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Thanks for the smile ................... I'm not alone

(car companions: tow rope, cell phone, small toolbox and oh yea, fire extinguisher)

Posted: 10-24-2010 07:02 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
subwoofer

What made you bring a 12mm? :-) That size is hardly ever used, the only time I use a 12mm is when I have to do something with the exhaust on my Vanagon.

And yes, I live in the metric part of the world. I could easily have made a similar mistake with " tools....

BTW: 11mm and 7/16", and 22mm and 7/8" are practically interchangeable, 9/16" will work for a 14mm (but not necessarily the other way around) although 14mm is a rare dimension. The commonly used metric sizes are 8, 10, 13, 17 and 19mm for M5, M6, M8, M10 and M12 bolts respectively - in case you wondered.

--
Joachim

Posted: 10-24-2010 11:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
dwalls1

Thanks Gentleman, it's always nice to know that one has company. I have used SAE and metric where they interchange for years. 8mm and 5/16ths are virtually the same. I have encountered 12mm often when working on motorcycles. That may explain why there are some 12mm nuts on my Healey. 1/2 inch and 13mm complement one another. Alas, 7/16ths is 7/16ths. BTW if adjusting valves on some Honda motorcycle and Kawasaki industrial engines, the locknuts are 9mm and there is no SAE that will work. I didn't think I'd ever see a need for 15mm 'til I worked on a BMW cop bike. Then ran into that size again on Cummins engines. I am increasingly convinced of a plot by the third worlders to control my toolbox. Just got back from a cruise with the Lady about 50 miles. 17798 is running well and even idling for several minutes at a time. Mileage is still pretty sad, but that will await another tuning session. I haven't yet admitted to the biggest faux pas. I won't bore you with it now, but it's one of those that could give me night sweats if I dwell on it. You all take care now.

Current time is 06:43 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Ignition > Well Duh Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems