Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Overheating after drain and fill  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 10-24-2010 04:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
dwalls1

I drained the coolant when I removed the auxilliary housing, though I don't recall why. Any way, I refilled it after replacing the auxilliary shaft, took it out for a shakedown and it over heated. When I got it back to the house I was able to remove the radiator cap with a rag and the pressure released was only vapor, no fluid. I added about two quarts of anti freeze and the next time out it ran cool as a cucumber, just like I'd grown used to it doing. Apparently there was an air lock in the system as the radiator was full on start up. I don't recall any discussion of bleeding air from the system, or reading it in the manual. Have I missed something? Has anyone had a similar experience? I think I may have had the same routine when I replaced the water pump, but can't remember the specifics. It's that Oldtimers Disease I think.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 10-24-2010 04:21 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
JodyKerr

Things I always do when replacing the coolant in a vehicle:

1) Open the heater full bore so there's no air pockets there (not necessarily relevant in the JH unless your vin is in the 17500+ range and you have the vacuum switch and it works).

2) Let it idle up to temperature with radiator cap open. There's almost always an air pocket behind the thermostat. Generally you can see an obvious volume drop in the top of the radiator when the t-stat opens. Then do final top off.

Jody

Posted: 10-24-2010 11:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
dwalls1

Your right on Jody, I forgot what I was doing in my anticipation. I could have saved myself some anxiety if I had thought it through some more. I have had the heater out of the loop for a while now, but I need to get it going again to try and extend the season. With the heater on, the side windows up and a stocking cap we might make it topless 'til spring.

Current time is 08:01 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Cooling > Overheating after drain and fill Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems