Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
No Spark at all  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 10-24-2010 02:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
41st Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Well I have been reading along on your trials and tribulations, looking at the pictures and will chip in with my two cents.

First the thing with the bent wiring connections above the oil pressure tie in hose is part of the emmisions, you dont need it.

Second your wiring is in need of attention, if that red wire taped up is any indications your whole problem is probably dirty contacts and or broken wires, putting power to the coil with an additional wire tells you that.

Step back and start cleaning stuff up, check your wires for continuity, clean up your grounding wires, there are no quick fix's when your dealing with a car 35 years old, and your old Allison system is probably still good seeing you have the same issue using the Protonics.

Best of luck

Brett.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 10-25-2010 12:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
42nd Post
jarnol123

Thanks for the advice. .. You know the spark i got from the flamethrower did look kind of weak. I think what I'll do then is go back and clean up all the wiring and then try the lucas 25D coil..

Questions:

1.  Do i need 12V directly from the battery for this coil? bearing in mind I don't have a ballast resistor?

2. I'd really like to use the Flamethrower coil so is there a way I can get the necessary 12V to it? I already ran a wire from the battery but I guess the built in ballast resistor (the red wire with the tape) is reducing the voltage, i.e. when I put my multimeter on the coil it only reads 10.8V).

3. When I did the coil test (flamethrower) I got a spark but when I connected the cap, rotor, etc. and tested the #1 Spark plug there was nothing...would that just suggest not enough spark? I would have thought I would have got something from the plug test just to show that it's working?

Thanks for all your help.

Posted: 11-06-2010 09:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
43rd Post
jarnol123

OK I got it running.....sluggish though...I did get the timing correctly adjusted though...It smokes a lot from under the engine, does that indicate a problem with the exhaust manifold??

Also, does anyone know how to adjust a weber carb (see pic below)??

Attachment: IMG_2561.JPG (Downloaded 41 times)

Posted: 11-07-2010 12:35 am
  PM Quote Reply
44th Post
subwoofer

Most likely you have an oil leak from the exhaust cam cover. Oil drips down on the exhaust header, and starts to smoke when it heats up. The cure is a set of rubber gaskets from the JHPS store.

As far as the Webers go; The picture shows a set of Dell'Ortos... If the jetting is correct, it is simply a matter of balancing and idle mixture adjustment. See if you can get hold of a CarbTune to balance the carbs, it does make quite a difference on the off-idle pickup.

--
Joachim

Last edited on 11-07-2010 12:37 am by subwoofer

Posted: 11-07-2010 03:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
45th Post
jarnol123

yes sorry about that I know they're dellortos...I was thinking about webers for some reason when I wrote the message earlier.

Posted: 11-07-2010 03:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
46th Post
jarnol123

Hey Joachim,

can you help me locate the rubber gaskets in the jhps store? I can't seem to locate them.

thanks

Posted: 11-07-2010 03:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
47th Post
subwoofer

These are the ones:

http://www.jhps.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=jhps&Product_Code=RCG&Category_Code=CC

It really works. Not a single drop has escaped since I installed them.

--
Joachim

Posted: 11-07-2010 04:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
48th Post
John Finch

Carb tune on Ebay auction number is below. They work great

Posted: 11-08-2010 01:20 am
  PM Quote Reply
49th Post
jarnol123

One more question...

On the Dell'ortos ....

what's a good setting for the idle and mixture screws (just to get to a good starting point??

I think I mucked them up initially and I have problems starting the engine....is it all the way closed and 4 turns back for the mixture??

Current time is 10:10 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2  3     
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Ignition > No Spark at all Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems