New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Second gear is busted!  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-30-2005 03:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Yes, I broke a tooth off of second gear today during a bit of agressive driving. I had to drive home using first and third gears with the kadunka kadunka sound muted in these gears. The tooth in question dropped into the oil catch pan when I drained the case. The trans is now lying on the garage floor waiting for the car to be raised a bit so I can slide it out.

Time to see if the spare is any good.

Kurt

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-31-2005 01:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Adam H

Jim Ketcham and I recently rebuilt two transmissions.  Not too difficult.  The manual is pretty good with the exception of the shift fork spacer being on the wrong end in the diagram.

Bruce Madden has gears (and shift forks) if you decide to go that way.  I don't have his number but he is in Atlanta GA 440 area code.  Delta has his number if he isn't listed.

Good luck!

Posted: 05-31-2005 05:07 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Thanks, I'll probably try to rebuild it. When I got the top off of it today there were 5 teeth were broken off and they were not all next to each other. Maybe some were broken off already.

Kurt

Posted: 06-02-2005 07:05 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Sander

Bruce Madden, aka The Red Racer, for parts and technical advice, try 404-261-2552, Bruce owns a computer but has never turned it on so, no, he has no email

Last edited on 06-02-2005 07:21 pm by Sander

Posted: 06-26-2005 04:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

The spare transmission is in and works very well. It is much tighter than the old one and doesn't pop out of second gear on those long descents. My only complaint is a generally sluggish feel and the lack of centering in neutral. Is there a return spring on the shift lever that might be missing?

It was supposed to have been rebuilt by the dreaded PPO (prior to the previous owner) so it may loosen up with use.

See you on the highways of West Marin,

Kurt Housh

San Anselmo, CA

JH 13148

Posted: 06-27-2005 12:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Adam H

Glad to hear it went well.  There was a spring on one of my two transmissions, maybe one and a half inches tall and 3/4 of an inch at the base, half an inch at the top.

Current time is 01:35 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Second gear is busted! Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems