Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > New to jh's, couple of questions

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
New to jh's, couple of questions  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 10-03-2010 01:30 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
jor2daje

Hey guys Im really glad to be a member of this forum I'm looking at getting a jensen healey off craigslist. When I started looking for cars I knew I wanted something older, stylish, British, and with good handling, at first I was thinking of a triumph or an mg but as soon as I saw the Jensen healey I knew it was what I wanted. So I looked on craiglist and found one for 2500, I should be checking it out next weekend. The listing is here http://ventura.craigslist.org/cto/1957973176.html

quite by chance when i was browsing this forum I saw a car that looks quite a lot like the one I'm looking at getting and it turn a out this car is owned by forum member steve88w. His post about it is here http://www.jensenhealey.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=1440&forum_id=15

I'm slightly dubious about the low price and such a short period of ownership, but I will wait to before I see the car in person before I pass judgement. What do you guys thing about the price, I know prices can vary from area to area I'm worried about a large problem that could be hidden, is there anything that may not be seen in a test drive? I'll be bringing a magnet to check for rust, but what else should I look for?

I'm also not so sure I like using weber carbs because as i read on this forum they can create a flat spot, in you opinion would it be worth it to change?

Thanks in advance and for all the great info on the forum

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 10-04-2010 02:04 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
pbahr

Best to bring a person that knows about "old" cars.

The Webers with those air cleaners will make so much induction noise that you'll never know if the engine is quiet, or the bearing are about to fall out.  Yes, Webers have a flat spot, but with a few hundred$ of jets, you can generally make it much less noticable.  I have Weber 45's on YELODOG, and they are great - but the engine is far from stock so it is a suitable choice.  For a stock engine the 45's are a bit large - but you don't tell us if they are 40's or 45's........

For '73, the engine had some problems, later solved, concerning lubrication of the Cams as well as a shitty rear Crank seal (rope as I recall).

For all JH, the Cam belt is always an issue.  If not new, it should be replaced.

Engine hot oil pressure should be 60psi at 2500 rpm and probably 20 psi at idle.

Should not be too much oil leaking from under the car, as the 907 can be made quite tight.

"flywheel was serviced." - hmm, wonder why??????

Of course, look for rust in the typical places - but it it was a CA car from new, that shouldn't be too much of a problm.

Bring a good machanic with you ! ! ! !

Pete Bahr

Posted: 10-04-2010 03:47 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
jor2daje

Thank you very much for the reply,

Im not sure on the size of the carbs but I will ask.

As to your concerns about the engine, he said it has the engine from a mkII in it so I think atleast a few of the issues may have been solved.

Thanks for the info about the oil pressure

He said in his post that he needed the gear ring spot welded to his fly wheel so that is what I assume he meant when he says it in his listing.

Thanks again

Posted: 10-04-2010 04:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
pbahr

Yeah, I've heard that Gear Rings have an occasional problem, but I've never had the problem personally.

Bring a mechanic...........

Pete

Posted: 10-05-2010 03:09 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
jgreen

Hi,

My JH has a couple of 45 Dellortos with K+n filters and can attest personally for the high induction noise. Pete is absolutely right.  It's was kinda cool at first and I did like it.... The rumble and air sucking under throttle is pretty loud. My ex wife complained all the time and wouldnt ride in the car mainly because the radio was not loud enough to drown the sound of the dellortos out. Anyway, Pete Bahr found a great way to silence them  and had a custom filter airbox made which can really quiet things down to a boring  sane level. It's great for long trips. The parts are still made by a guy out of california who crafts them out of fiberglass and will fit right on  the dells or webers utilizing the standard lotus air  filter.

JOhn

Posted: 10-05-2010 08:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

I made a fiberglass airbox to allow room for the velocity stacks to breath. It doesn't do much for the induction noise, even after the stock intake muffler is installed. Do you have contact info for this guy?

I installed 1/4" DynaLiner under the bonnet after seeing it at the West Coast Nats. It really makes a big difference!

Kurt

Posted: 10-05-2010 11:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
jgreen

Kurt,

I dont use my box.... i will send it to you free of charge if you would like it. it just sits around taking up space. needs a lotus filter though. i cant find that piece but i have everything else for you.

John

Posted: 10-06-2010 03:18 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
pbahr

I got my Airbox from PNM Engineering in England http://www.pnmengineering.com/index.html  many years ago.  It's made from two different Lotus model boxes, and they added the clilps to hold it together.

3" velocity stacks clear the air filter nicely.

Filter is: Lotus # A907E6182Z.

Pete

Attachment: YELODOG Engine bay 100k.jpg (Downloaded 37 times)

Posted: 10-06-2010 04:19 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Wow, thanks John!

I'll send you a JHPS message with my address and such.

I really appriciate it!

Kurt

Posted: 10-06-2010 01:34 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
jgreen

Sure Kurt - happy to do it! My look almost exactly like Yelowdog's>  YOu will have to add the hose part of the assembly ok?

John

Posted: 10-06-2010 02:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
pbahr

Hose is E&M Products # 22188.  Fits AMC & Chrysler.  3 9/16 dia.

Pete

Posted: 10-06-2010 05:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Thanks John and thanks Pete!

Current time is 08:55 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > New to jh's, couple of questions Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems