Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Jack shaft pulley adrift  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 09-27-2010 12:53 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
dwalls1

Had to have 17798 towed from Alamagordo after it died at 10:30 PM on the way back from White Sands. In the dark it was a head scratcher as we appeared to have spark, but the timing had gone way off, suddenly. In the light of day I could see that the cogged pulley on the jack shaft was loose and wiggled fore and aft. So, the shaft was turning enough to show a spark often enough to appear legit. Any input as to what I might find when I get the pulley off and how to avoid this trauma in the future would be most welcome. The bolt holding the pulley on is still tight. I can't recall ever having that pulley off, but I have had the ones off the camshafts. It seems that there was nothing behind that pulley for the bolt to force it against, but will know more when I get the book out and a good look at things. The Lord only, knows where the key went, if it was ever there. Thank you for any and all responses.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 09-27-2010 02:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

The inner rotor of the oil pump is attached to the other end of the shaft. It is retained by a circlip.

The removal of the auxiliary housing or the carbs is needed to access this area.

Kurt

Posted: 09-27-2010 04:02 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
dwalls1

Thanks Kurt, I'm hoping that a new pulley and key will fix me up, but I haven't done anything yet, except unpack the car. Do you expect the shaft will need to be replaced?

Posted: 09-27-2010 02:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

So you think the key sheared off?

I was responding to the fore and aft movement. There is another circlip behind the pulley that may have failed. Greg Fletcher had an article about this a while back.

If you can withdraw the shaft then my first post applies.

Kurt

Posted: 09-30-2010 12:36 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
dwalls1

Removed the pulley and found the key way in the shaft to be hogged out and about a 1/2 inch wide. The center of the pulley is somewhat enlarged and the circlip behind it has worked it's way into the back of the pulley about a 1/16 th of an inch. Will replace the shaft, pulley, seal and keys after I remove the auxilliary housing. It might be kind of fun to be able to time the ignition now, without the erraticism I seemed to be experiencing before.

Posted: 10-24-2010 03:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
dwalls1

17798 is back up and running, and in less than a month. Was able to score serviceable used parts from Delta. Took two attempts to reinstall the auxilliary housing, as I had the distributor oriented so it fouled the block. Thought I had really screwed up when I heard the sickening pop, but was lucky and only had to start over with a new gasket. I guess I got lucky on the timing as it fired right off, seems to idle better now, but will put the timing light on it and try to dial it in closer. Had some tense moments on two shake down runs, but will put those in appropriate threads.

Current time is 10:04 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Ignition > Jack shaft pulley adrift Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems