Home 

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
Ben Friedman

I recently pulled off the turn signal assembly to find out why the turn signals aren't working.  I'm pretty sure that the problem lies with the assembly, since I can't get an Ohm reading if I connect the input and output wires on the 9-way connecter to a meter while I have the turn signal depressed in either direction.  The problem I am now facing is this:

When I pulled off the plate that keeps the turn signal and wiper/washer assemblies together, pieces started flying off the side of the turn signal.  Everything seemed spring loaded, and I am know left with a variety of extremely small parts, but no idea as to where they go.  This includes 3 springs, a small metal ball, a copper rod about 1/8-1/4 inch long, a plastic spring holder-thingy, and 4 little plastic things that look like they sit on the end of the springs.  I also have the major plastic thing, with the plastic turn signal-canceling arms attached to it.

Does anyone have a picture of what this whole thing looks like when not in shambles?  I really have know idea as to what goes where, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Mark Rosenbaum

When I first took mine apart, years ago, I had no clues at all, and had to reassemble the thing about a dozen times before I got everything to work.  I wrote an article on the assembly, but apparently this has since vanished from (a) my files, (b) the JHPS archive, and (c) the Jensen Mail List archive; perhaps someone on the board saved a copy and can send it to you.  Wonderful things, these computers.... 

Anyway, what little I recall of the switch internals is given below. 

The copper rod is a roller that acts as the moving element in the turn signal switch itself.  I think one of the springs is involved here.  When the turn signal arm is moved the rod eventually rolls into the notch of one or the other of the broad V-shaped contacts for the turn signal circuitry.

The little plastic things that look like they sit on the end of springs are glides so the switch mechanism will move easily within the housing.  You should see faint curved tracks on the insides of the metal and plastic covers.  The plastic things are what made these arcs.  I think a couple of them on one side are backed up by the remaining two springs but don't recall for sure.

The plastic cancelling mechanism works in conjunction with the rotating collar that projects out the front and which is driven by the steering wheel.  IIRC it only fits in one way.

There should be a plastic pivot block that allows the turn signal lever to move fore and aft.  This is for the high beam switch, which is operated by a plastic fork-like gadget that breaks easily.  The plastic fork thing is the spring for this part.

Getting the thing back together so it works just takes patience.  Good luck.

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems