Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Ignition > I messed up my timing changing out the timing belt (distributor)

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
I messed up my timing changing out the timing belt (distributor)  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 09-04-2010 02:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
cavanbound

Guys-

I just purchased 18082, imported into Minnesota from Missouri.  The car ran very well, but I embarked on the timing belt change, among other maintenance items.  After replacing the tensioner pulley with the integrated '75+ Lotus part (as I understand it, this was retro-fitted to my '74, so i stayed with it), I had everything reassembled - no fire.

After about 20 turns, I got a pretty significant backfire, and I'm concluding that I've messed up the timing.  I suspect that while I was careful with the engine at TDC to keep the cam sprockets aligned, I probably let the distro/oil pump jack shaft sprocket rotate a bit. 

I understand the fine-tuning that comes with rotating the distributor, and I have a timing light (have never used it), but that comes after engine's at least firing. 

Can anyone describe how I should be aligning the timing mark on that jackshaft sprocket (distro/oil pump)?  I clearly see a mark, but don't have any reference to how it should align with the engine at TDC.  I suspect when I get that aligned, I'll have fire again and can then tune.

While I'm posting, can anyone point me to a reputable (non-pirated) source for a digital copy of the Jensen Healey manual?  I see the printed copy on the JHPS site, but was hoping for a CD copy - the only ones I see on Ebay appear to be offshore pirates.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited on 09-04-2010 02:27 am by cavanbound

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 09-04-2010 01:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

First off forget the mark on the dizzy pulley, they are interchangable with the cams. Set the crank at TDC with the cams aligned, check the #1 piston to make sure it's up at the top, next pull the dizzy cap and see were the rotor is pointing, it should be pointing at the #1 spark plug wire, yours is probably not, rotate the dizzy if you cant move it far enough to line up then move your spark plug wires over so that it will.

That should get you running enough to put the timing light on and dial it in.

Brett

Posted: 09-07-2010 12:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
cavanbound

Brett - thanks much.  I pulled the dizzy cap, it was well over 90 but probably not as much as 180 degrees out of alignment with cylinder 1 - likely, I did as I suspected and simply didn't take enough care to keep that shaft from rotating as I worked.

18082 fired nicely, and will be back in service as soon as I get the radiator re-installed (um, for the 2nd time).

Thanks again - Matt

Current time is 10:40 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Ignition > I messed up my timing changing out the timing belt (distributor) Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems