Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > J-H Dash Removal and Wiring

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
J-H Dash Removal and Wiring  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-27-2010 03:06 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
mojo-09

I am looking for directions for removal of the dash to get to the bulb for bright light indicator.

Also looking for a good wiring diagram that has pictures of the starter, alternator   &  etc.

Thanks Jim

My email address is j_alively@mcloudteleco.com

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-27-2010 12:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Jim, there are two screws one in each corner of the upper  dash pod, then the pod is resting on a shaft, depending on if the shaft was lubed or not it just slides out forward untill the speedo cable and oil line restrict it's movement, you might be able to reach around and get at the high beam light from there. If not disconnect the speedo cable at the back of the odometer, disconnect the oil line on the engine block, or behind the gauge, sometimes not to easy.

As for a wiring Dia. they are out there on the Web, British steel, or John Kimbrough has a web page in the links portion of this site.

Good luck

Brett

Posted: 08-27-2010 02:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
JodyKerr

Do as Brett said in the first response.

I've found that the posts almost always stick from lack of lubrication over the years. I normally hit them with steel wool and a little penetrating oil. Also, it's much easier to fiddle with it on the bench. Remove the speedo cable (as mentioned) and the oil line. When you remove the oil line zip tie or tape a bag over the end. If you don't it's guaranteed to leak oil into your interior. You'll also have to disconnect the two main wirhing harness connections (1 black, 1 white if your wiring is still correct).

While you're in there I'd recommend changing out all the bulbs at once. Jim @ Delta Motorsports found a better bulb a year or so ago, they're much brighter. I'd get those bulbs, they make a huge difference.

The wiring that connects the bulbs is very thin. Go slowly and carfully. If you're ham fisted in there you'll be accidentally squishing the sockets or ripping them from the harness. Also, a lot of the bulbs ground to the bulb socket. Clean up all those connections and apply a little dielectic grease to them. It helps on reassembly as well as keeps them gack free if you need to go in there again.

Jody

Posted: 08-27-2010 06:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
subwoofer

If the pod is stuck, grab a crowbar and assume the Lotus position. Push on the end of the steel rod sticking out the back of the instrument with the crowbar, using the steering column brackets for leverage. Worked a charm for me, and that rod was badly rusted.

--
Joachim

Posted: 08-27-2010 06:54 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
mojo-09

Thanks for the information it is a big,big Help.  Thanks Jim

Posted: 08-27-2010 06:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
mojo-09

Thanks for the information it is a big, big Help.   I just ordered a box of the bulbs from them, hope they are the ones you are talking about.  Thanks Jim

Posted: 08-27-2010 09:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
mojo-09

Their were two screws at each end of dash. But their seems to be somethings else holding the dash in. Also do i need to take the center console out and the steering wheel off.  You said one screw at each end maybe i took the wrong screw out but they looked like the bracket were atched to the dash. Also where do you take hold of the dash to work it loose?  Thanks Jim

Posted: 08-27-2010 11:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
JodyKerr

You don't have to take out the whole dash, just the instrument cluster. at both sides of the cluster inset into the black molded unit are two screws. Those are what we were referring to.

If you got those, you should be able to sliglty lever both sides, but the center pin is still holding it in place.

Posted: 08-28-2010 06:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
John Finch

Attached is a pix of the pod removed. You can see the rusty rod in the center. Hope this helps.

Attachment: new_dash_lights.jpg (Downloaded 215 times)

Current time is 10:33 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > J-H Dash Removal and Wiring Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems