Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Side Marker light rubber  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-17-2010 05:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
jdenglish

If anyone going to the West Coast Nationals has a spare side marker light assembly please bring it.  I have located a rubber molder in Kent Ohio (JBM Industries) that expressed interest in recreating these parts.  He (Don) has requested an assembly for evaluation

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-17-2010 07:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
JodyKerr

Do you mean to have him make the rubber bases or the whoe light?

The lights are pretty easily available. as they were used on a pile of different cars. I have a whole bag of them somewhere.

Posted: 08-18-2010 01:50 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
jdenglish

The rubber base.  I spoke to Pete Bahr of "Pete's Kits" earlier this year and he didn't see a way to break even on his "PK-1107 Side Light Rubber Base" so he put the project on hold.  So I thought I'd talk it up to whoever would listen.

Posted: 08-18-2010 01:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
JodyKerr

Ahh gotcha. The light's one story, the rubber base is a completely different one.

Good Luck!

Posted: 10-04-2010 02:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
pbahr

Hi John,

What did the rubber shop in Ohio have to say about the rubber sidelight bases?

Just another caution:  I was encouraged by one of the big Jensen shops in the US to pursue this part.  When I got serious about it, I contacted MANY parts suppliers ( Jensen and other British cars) about interest in such a part and only one had even a mild interest.  That's why I gave up on it.  You have to sell hundreds at a high price to come close to break-even.

Fact is, there are at least two configurations for this part - one flat, and the other tapered.  So, that means two molds - twice the investment.

Let me know if I can be of any help,

Pete

Posted: 10-07-2010 05:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Gary Martin JH 15371

From what I have seen and been told, the tapered rubber base for the four corner maker lights is correct and orignal. That is, one end of the rubber is thicker so as to compensate for the curve of the fender and make the marker light more flat with the side of the car. The flat ones are a re-production and are not really original. I would be interested in a set of the tapered style. I also need to order Pete's shift gaiter, clutch fork gaiter, and the emergency trunk opener if he desides to go to prod with that one. My trunk lock barely opened the trunk with key fully tured, I modified mine by grinding off a bit of the material on the latch where the stop is. now my trunk opens by barely turning the key, almost too easy. I took off a little too much of the stop.

Gary 

Posted: 10-07-2010 08:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
subwoofer

Sign me up for 4 rubber bases (if it ever becomes a reality)

--
Joachim

Posted: 10-08-2010 04:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
jdenglish

He was mildly interested.  I was going to send him a sample lens assembly for evaluation after the West Coast Nationals.  Unfortunately, I forgot to mention the subject to that group.  So just like you, the ultimate build out is in doubt.
It's on my To-Do list.

Posted: 10-12-2010 10:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

Just an FYI, K&D (interceptor.org) is selling the correct Jensen side marker assemblies with the correct taper unique to the Jensen. These are the same part on the Interceptor as on the Jensen Healey. These were only use on Federalized market Jensens in case you were wondering.

They are $129 each, just the thing for your historically accurate restoration. Fortunately, Interceptor owners don't care how much things cost ;)

Posted: 09-24-2019 03:12 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
redracer

I've posted this recently somewhere here before, but after talking to many at the St. Louis JENSEN national, it's worth reposting(btw, they are NOT unique to our car as some Triumphs used them as well:
Triumph Spitfire 71 to 80
Triumph GT6 MkIII

here is the site (BPNW); they are made in Italy(so the owner told me) and they are an EXACT copy of the originals(except "LUCAS" and L.R./R.F. etc are not imprinted on the reverse side ). One set (don't recall either RF/LR or LF/RR will need to have the proper location for the holes, which will take less time than I did for typing this!)

https://www.bpnorthwest.com/triumph/spitfire/body-electrical/side-marker-gasket-rubber-set-spitfire-71-to-80-gt6-miii.html

Posted: 09-27-2019 03:49 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
noomg

I purchased a set from BPNW last year and while I wouldn't use the word exact they were close enough and I was pleased with the results.

Posted: 09-27-2019 04:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
redracer

sorry, but I measured them and they are "EXACT" in the sense they look "EXACTLY" like the originals.
If one were to put micrometers to it, depending on the ambient temperature, they would vary quite a bit, maybe even one thousand of an inch.
There are "even" ones for MGBs, etc., that do NOT have the one long edge wider than the other edge.
Not sure what you had been using since one can easily get the "MGB" ones but NOT the ones BPNW had made(unless you go to the U.K. and snoop around a bit for N.O.S., where the rubber(rubber is considered a "liquid" as glass is also), would likely be deteriorated even if left inside.

Posted: 09-29-2019 02:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
noomg

Bruce,

You may well be correct when you say they're exact, the only thing I had to compare them with was the 45yo originals which I took off my car during restoration. It's very probable the originals have shrunk a bit over the years. I found the new ones slightly longer but not significantly so. Everything fit together nicely and they look great, I'd recommend them. I've always had a good experience dealing with BPNW, while they don't carry a lot of parts for our cars what they do have is good quality, inexpensive, and they ship fast.

Current time is 01:11 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Miscellaneous > Side Marker light rubber Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems