Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Ignition > progress on crank fired distributorless ignition

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
progress on crank fired distributorless ignition  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-15-2010 04:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
StevenD57

I have three photos of the VR sensor bracket and toothed wheel mounting for the crank-fired ignition system I am working on as part of my project to convert to electronic fuel injection. I posted the three new photos at photobucket

http://s685.photobucket.com/albums/vv215/StevenD57/working%20on%20cars/JH%20EFI%20work/?action=view&current=IMG_29931.jpg

http://s685.photobucket.com/albums/vv215/StevenD57/working%20on%20cars/JH%20EFI%20work/?action=view&current=IMG_29941.jpg

http://s685.photobucket.com/albums/vv215/StevenD57/working%20on%20cars/JH%20EFI%20work/?action=view&current=IMG_29951.jpg

Right now I am trying to scope out where to mount the coil pack and EDIS controller module under the hood and then where to mount the ignition and efi controller computer inside the car.
--
Steven DuChene

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 09-08-2010 01:15 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
StevenD57

I have the VR sensor, toothed wheel, coil pack, and EDIS4 controller mounted and wired to the car. I installed a main relay that is switched by the 12V wire that supplied power to the input of the ballast resistor. I am able to start the car with the default limp-home 10°BTDC hardcoded into the EDIS4 module. I have most of the wiring done for the Megasquirt ECU that will direct the EDIS4 controller to advance the ignition based on the load verses RPM map I enter into the ECU tuning software. I added another vacuum port to the front section of the intake manifold and then T'ed it  together with the rear vacuum port that normally runs to the brake booster so I can get a more balanced signal to the manifold air pressure sensor integrated into the ECU. I have a few more ground wires to run to my common ground point on the engine and then double check all of my connections with an ohm meter. I also want to confirm the VR sensor to toothed wheel alignment that should be producing the default 10° BTDC timing signal. Once that is done I think I am ready to start it up with the Megasquirt ECU installed.

Posted: 09-11-2010 01:57 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
StevenD57

IT RUNS!!!!!!  (cue evil maniacal laugh sound track)

I am running on the crank fired distributorless ignition system using the Megasquirt ECU. I have a LOT of wiring cleanups to do but it definitely does run. I have not taken it out of the garage yet but it starts nicely and runs pretty smooth.

I also have to make a bracket for the coil instead of it sitting loose between the pedal box and the brake booster.

Posted: 09-17-2010 05:28 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
mdutch

Congrats! You have taken the Jensen one evolutionary step closer to the Megatron it will become!

Posted: 09-26-2010 08:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
StevenD57

I have been working on getting additional sensors mounted for my continued conversion to crank-fired ignition and eventually EFI. I now have the coolant temperature sensor mounted in-line in the hose under the intake manifold. Photos can be seen at:

http://s685.photobucket.com/albums/vv215/StevenD57/working%20on%20cars/JH%20EFI%20work/?action=view&current=IMG_3014.jpg

http://s685.photobucket.com/albums/vv215/StevenD57/working%20on%20cars/JH%20EFI%20work/?action=view&current=IMG_3018.jpg

Posted: 12-07-2010 03:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
superk83

I'm extremely interested in this topic and will be waiting in earnest for your next update!!!

Posted: 12-07-2010 03:28 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
StevenD57

I have a 14 page article I wrote on the process of converting to crank-fired distributor-less ignition. It includes wiring diagrams and various illustrations that should be very helpful. If you are interested in this get me your E-mail address and I will send it to you. It is approximately 15MB - 2.0Mb. PDF file.

Posted: 05-17-2011 04:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
JodyKerr

Hey Folks,

I'm looking into building a crank-fired ignition set-up based on Steve's working prototype. i've already emailed this info to the Jensen mailing list.

I'm looking at having Steve's machinist make the necessary parts for the VR mount (everything else is an off the shelf component). I believe the current cost to have the bits machined is $225.00. I'm hoping to get more folks interested in crank fired ignition to help me put in a bulk order that should (hopefully) drop the per set cost.

If you are interested please let me know.

Jody

Posted: 05-24-2011 11:42 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
StevenD57

Here is an example EDIS parts auction on ebay that has most of the Ford EDIS parts necessary to get started on this conversion:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110691598063

Starting bid is $49.95

Not affiliated with the seller
Just pointing out an auction for the bits.

The only major Ford EDIS part that is not correct in the above auction is the toothed wheel. The above auction includes the wrong toothed wheel. The one I am using is off of a Ford Taurus 3.0L V6 (NOT the DOHC Duratech motor).

This does not mean the toothed wheel in the auction could never work but just would not work perfectly with the bracket & adapter I designed.

Last edited on 05-24-2011 11:43 pm by StevenD57

Posted: 12-12-2011 04:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
StevenD57

Late last week I picked up some sets of the VR sensor brackets and toothed wheel adapters for the crank-fired distributor-less ignition conversion from the fabricator. With hardware (various required bolts and spacers) this gets the 36-1 toothed wheel installed on the front of the single groove crank pulley and the VR sensor correctly positioned down on the extreme lower left of the toothed wheel. This "kit" does NOT fit cars with AC. The price for this kit is $225.00 plus shipping. It does not include drilling & tapping the four required holes in the front of the crank pulley. My fabricator is ready to do this part on an exchange basis to ensure the toothed wheel is correctly aligned to fire the ignition at the right point.

Posted: 03-27-2012 10:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
jdenglish

Hi Steve,
Could you send me the information on your system.
Thanks,
John English
jdenglish@comcast.net
JH5 20171

Posted: 03-29-2012 10:34 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
superk83

Awesome, steve! I'll be ready to place an order in a week or two...!

Posted: 03-29-2012 03:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
StevenD57

After checking some dates it turns out I have a year of driving on the first car I did up with the crank-fired ignition and electronic fuel injection. The whole system has been remarkably trouble free for a first generation design (i.e. the first prototype of the whole system). I am in the process of doing up a second car with the whole crank-fired ignition system and eventually the EFI as well. This will be a gen2 design with lessons learned from the first one. For instance I have relocated the EDIS controller module and coil pack from the firewall behind the motor to the fenderwell ahead of and next to the brake booster. Once I get to the gen2 install of the EFI part I think that will most likely use a submerged in the tank fuel pump which will hopefully cut down on the noise I hear now from the external fuel pump in the first car. Plus it eliminates the need for the external fuel surge tank between the gas tank and the suction side of the external fuel pump. I have also redesigned the linkage between the two throttle bodies using some bits salvaged off of the OEM ZS carb setup. I am hoping I can end up with a cleaner wiring arrangement as well.

BTW, I have 6 sets of the EFI converted intake manifolds, fuel rails and other parts ready to go.

Last edited on 03-29-2012 03:23 pm by StevenD57

Posted: 03-29-2012 05:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
jdenglish

Hey Steve,
When you have some spare time My Rotax 503 2-stroke is begging for EFI!
No seriously, great work!

Posted: 03-31-2012 10:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Ricardo_Julio

Will it be too much to ask from you to enlighten us on how have you done the crank ignition and the EFI?  I'm tearing down my 907 and would love to do something like that; perhaps you can put it in print form and I would buy it from you.
  Hoping for the best.
   Ricardo

Posted: 03-31-2012 10:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
StevenD57

I have a 16 page article I wrote that I have been E-mailing out for free.

If you PM me with an E-mail address where you can receive a 4Mb - 5Mb pdf file I will send it to you.

What I am selling is a set of parts for a simple bolt-on VR sensor & toothed wheel with near perfect alignment for a single groove crank pulley as used on the 1974 and up Jensen-Healey motor (I.E. without AC)).

I am working on designing a similar kit for the multi-groove crank pulleys on cars with AC. These are a bit more complex and I will probably require some detail photos of your motor before selling on to you so I can make sure it will fit properly.
--
Steve

Last edited on 03-31-2012 10:40 pm by StevenD57

Posted: 04-01-2012 01:09 am
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Ricardo_Julio

Thank you very very much for your prompt reply.
 I have an engine that I'm putting together  (Bare block as of now)  that will have A/C, Do you need a picture of the pulley with the extra groove?
  My e-mail address is
 Ricardo_Estrada@bellsouth.net.

Hope to hear from you soon.
   Ricardo

Posted: 04-01-2012 01:26 am
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
StevenD57

The article is on it's way to you now Ricardo.

Posted: 03-09-2023 11:59 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
sell.russell10@gmail.com

I am interested in your article on the distributorless ignition.

sell.russell10@gmail.com

Thank you!

Current time is 04:19 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Ignition > progress on crank fired distributorless ignition Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems