Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > JH TACHOMETER VS PERTRONIX IGNITION

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
JH TACHOMETER VS PERTRONIX IGNITION  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 08-08-2010 04:30 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
timeforwalkies

Anybody had this problem?
I have the Pertronix ignition system installed and the car runs great.  But now the tachometer show zero rpms.  Even went to the trouble of installing a second one that I knew worked from my donor car.  Still zero.
So what the heck is wrong here?
Thanks
Clif
Found it and it looks like mine.  Didn't remember what the answer was and couldn't find it through search.
If anybody has more to add that would be great.  Sometimes new solution come up.

Last edited on 08-09-2010 04:50 am by timeforwalkies

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 08-08-2010 06:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Art DeKneef

Search the board here. I believe this has been discussed here a couple of times before.

From my fuzzy memory on this it has something to do with the tach needing to be rebuilt or swapped for a different type due to the different electronics of the Pertronix. Or it has something to do with the ballast resistor.

If I remember correctly this is something I think Pertronox is aware of and calling them may help resolve the issue.

I'm sure someone else will have the correct reason and will pipe in.

Art

Posted: 08-10-2010 04:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
timeforwalkies

OK.  So I finally figured out what to do via the Pertronix website, but not how to do it.
They say "...relocate the tachometer trigger wire to the white wire from the Second Strike box".
Very clear if you know which wire on the tachometer is the trigger wire, that is where that wire is located under the hood.
Anybody know which one is which?
Thanks,
Clif

Posted: 08-10-2010 01:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

It's a white wire (on some cars white/ slate) connected to the ballast resistor on the firewall.

Kurt

Posted: 08-10-2010 03:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
timeforwalkies

Thanks Kurt.
However, I don't see anything on the firewall that has a wire connected to it.  Several wire flitting around the coil.  I hear there may be a difference on 74 1/2 cars, but still that doesn't help if you don't know what the difference is.
Thanks again,
Clif

Posted: 08-10-2010 10:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Gary Martin JH 15371

OK, the Pertronix has two wires, a red and a black. The wire coming from the tach (usually the white/slate wire) is the same wire that provides power to the ballast resistor next to the coil, or if your car does not have the ballast the wire will go directly to the + or positive side of the coil. If your car has the ballast, the white/slate wire will connect to one side of the ballast, the other side of the ballast goes to the +/positive side of the coil. The tach wire is also the ignition wire from the key. Some cars use two wires for Ign and Tach, but the JH it is just one wire.

Hook the red wire from the Pertronix to the same location on the ballast resistor that the white/slate wire from tach/ign connects to. If no ballast, then connect to the + positive side of the coil. The black wire from Pertronix connects to - negative side of the coil.

This is how my 74 is hooked up (I have the ballast resistor). Tach works on my car, but it jumps around at times. Most of the time it reads correctly.

Gary  

Posted: 08-11-2010 12:37 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
timeforwalkies

Thanks Gary.
Just one thing, well maybe two.
The Second Strike Pertronix has six wires.  Black, Red, Yellow, White, Orange, and Green.
Their diagram shows:
Black to battery negative.
Red to battery positive.
Yellow is not used.
White to tach output.
Orange to original tach wire
Green to original ignition switch wire

At present the white wire is not hooked up.
Pertronix:  http://www.pertronix.com/support/manuals/pdf/second_strike%20.pdf
Pertronix says "...relocate the tachometer trigger wire to the white wire from the Second Strike box"

Do you have the second strike unit, Pertronix 500?

Posted: 08-11-2010 05:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Gary Martin JH 15371

My Pertronix only has two wires. I don't have the second strike unit. I think you need to find someone that has installed the second strike unit on a JH. On a JH the ingition wire goes through the tach and on to the ballast resistor. There is no separate tach signal wire. Sorry I'm not more help.

Gary

Posted: 08-11-2010 06:45 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

There was an interesting tidbit in the newsletter a while ago-

The cure is simple- you need to procure (2) 400V 3A diodes and place them in series (with the bands pointing in the correct direction). The diodes are fairly common and can be found at most electronic stores, or at Radio Slack stores under part# 276-1144.

Posted: 08-11-2010 07:06 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
timeforwalkies

Thanks Greg.
Place them in series where?
Clif

Posted: 08-17-2010 12:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
jdenglish

Several years ago there was a shop in North Hollywood that would convert  tachometers.  It was featured in an article in the JHPS mag.  I currently use a Pertronix and MSD unit to the converted tach.  A long way around the problem but it works.

Posted: 08-17-2010 01:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

I use a 3 1/8" VDO tach that plugs in to the MSD. Accurate tach? What a concept!

Kurt

Posted: 09-09-2015 02:22 am
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
wtberks

Greg, I installed the Pertronix distributor and would like to get my tachometer working. So, this information regarding diodes, could you elaborate. For example, where do I place them?

Thanks,
Bill

Posted: 09-09-2015 12:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
NigelK

Hi Bill

The fundamental issue here is that the original Jensen-Healey Smiths tachometer is designed to be wired in series with the coil ("current triggered" or "RVI"). Compared to points, electronic ignition systems do not always generate sufficient current to trigger this style of tachometer.

I say "not always", because current triggered tachometers are reported to work with some electronic ignition systems, but not all. For example, when I switched my GT from points to Accuspark electronic ignition, the tachometer continued to work (albeit not very accurately). But when I changed to Lucas Constant Energy ignition, the tachometer stopped working.

More modern tachometers are designed to be wired in parallel with the coil ("voltage triggered" or RVC) and will always work with electronic ignition systems.

So while there may be several ways of getting your RVI tachometer to work with the Pertronix, the only guaranteed fix is to convert your tachometer to voltage triggered operation (Google "RVI to RVC conversion") and switch a couple of wires between the tachometer and the coil so they are wired in parallel. This is not as big a job as it sounds.

I used Spiyda Design in the UK to convert my original RVI tachometer to RVC operation, LotusBits fitted it and changed the wiring, and the tachometer now works fine while looking stock.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Nigel

Posted: 09-09-2015 04:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
wtberks

Thanks Nigel. Yes, the information does help. I am in Southern California and a bit of research has led me to North Hollywood Speedometer http://www.nhspeedometer.com. I am going to call them today to determine if it is worth the drive. I am trying to get a number of small items, such as my non working tach, fixed before I take my GT to the 2015 Jensen Western Region.

Bill
GT 30450

Posted: 10-06-2015 12:53 am
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
wtberks

I just installed my tach after modifying it using the board that I bought from Spiyda http://www.spiyda.com. Installing the board was really easy and wiring it back into the car was fast and simple. This was a fraction of the cost of having it modified locally.

The part that I purchased was Smiths Tachometer RVI to RVC conversion board #SP-RVI-RVC.

There are four videos showing how to take it apart, swap in the new board, power it up and calibrate it once done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ME_KKCpyJqE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syQltmmU2W0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xeh_WB688VM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dthIQ-1Cyuo

Last edited on 10-06-2015 10:13 pm by wtberks

Posted: 10-12-2016 06:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Rick in Miami

I am running my stock RVI JH tach with a Pertronix II. I still power my coil + terminal from the circuit that passes through the tach (including the pink/white resistor wire). I ran a separate 12v (white) circuit from my ignition switch to power the Pertronix. The tach works fine.

Posted: 10-13-2016 01:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Jensen Healey
Super Moderator

Rick, that is brilliant!

I haven't gotten around to installing my Spiyda Buffer due to other projects and obligations but hope to post a full report soon.

Kurt
JH 13148 and 19753

Posted: 04-15-2017 08:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Rich W

Rick,

Thanks so much! I've been driving without a tach (a couple years) since I installed the Pertronix II. What an easy fix!

Thanks again!

Rich

Current time is 03:26 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > JH TACHOMETER VS PERTRONIX IGNITION Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems