Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Steering wheel question  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-27-2005 04:17 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Miles

Is the 74.5 JH steering wheel bolt pattern identical to any other car? ie- miata, triumph, RX7, mr2......thanks

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-27-2005 02:38 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Mark Rosenbaum

Actually, bolts are not involved.  The stock wheel has a splined hole, fits directly onto the splined steering column shaft, and is held in place by split collar pieces on one end, and a large securing nut on the other.  The securing nut is hidden from view by the escutcheon plate at the center of the wheel.  See the attached sketch.

IIRC, the steering column came from an early-1970s Vauxhall, and presumably parts from that vehicle would fit.  Someone once remarked that a 1960s Chevy Corvair steering wheel would fit, but AFAIK that hasn't been verified.

If you're interested in an aftermarket steering wheel, Motolita offers a 9-screw hub adapter for the JH as well as an assortment of world-class wheels.  I have these on my own car and recommend them highly (usual disclaimers).  There's at least one other aftermarket steering wheel manufacturer with a hub that fits the JH but at the moment I don't recall which.

Alternately, it's possible to take a surplus JH steering wheel to a machine shop that will turn it into a hub that will fit whatever steering wheel you want to use.  I don't know of anyone who's tried this, though.

Attachment: Steering wheel.gif (Downloaded 96 times)

Posted: 05-30-2005 08:11 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Lawrence Tod

Delta Motorsports offered a variety of after market steering wheels
availablein various sizes (diameters), and styles (3 spoke ,four spoke, dished no dish) and their respective adapters in the flyer immediately pre christmas last year.

Might want to start looking there. I'm thinking about it myself.

Lawrence Tod

Posted: 11-01-2005 04:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Jay

My 74 JH has the silver and black escutcheon plate at the center of the steering wheel. The rubber material around it is chipped showing signs of someone trying to "dig out" the plate. What is the correct approach to remove this center plate to reveal the steering wheel nut?
Thanks,
Jay

Posted: 11-01-2005 07:24 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
John Finch

I recently replaced my stock steering wheel with an aftermarket Astrali as nothing was avail from Delta or Molita. There are 36 splines on the 5/8" shaft if that info helps.  I didn't reuse the the split collar on the new wheel. Just modified the turn signal shutter offer (technical term) and put it on securing it with the shaft nut only. So far no problems. John

Posted: 11-01-2005 07:57 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Mark Rosenbaum

Unfortunately, the escutcheon sits in a groove in the wheel, and as far as I know, the only way to remove or reinstall the thing is to use leverage (for me, it was always a bit easier to do this from the short side).  Probably this wouldn't have caused much of a problem 30 years ago when the steering wheel plastic was new and still resilient, but nowadays that's unlikely to be the case.  Using a thin tool like a putty knife or a really tiny crow bar might be less damaging overall than using a screwdriver.  A really smooth polished metal surface on the tool should also help.

To deal with existing damage to the steering wheel, you might try smoothing down any dents or notches with a sanding block or sandpaper, followed by one of those fluids used to leave vinyl fabric with a semi-gloss or glossy finish.

As an alternative, consider sanding away the entire rim of the escutcheon mounting area so that the escutcheon will drop right in without force.  You can then secure the escutcheon to the car by epoxying a suitably spaced magnet to its rear.

Posted: 11-01-2005 10:43 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Ron Mau

Use some heat from ahair dryer or a paint remover to heat up the rubber and then it will come quite easily and not leave any dents.

Ron Mau

Posted: 06-25-2019 09:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
sockwash

As a newbie to the JH world, I appreciate this forum. As part of my new venture to restore my recently purchased 1974 JH, I needed to get to the broken plastic turn signal unit collar. Your idea os a blow dryer and Mark’s suggestion of a putty knife worked to get the Jensen escutcheon off the steering wheel without any damage. This forum is a godsend!

Posted: 07-02-2019 02:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
mgreaves

G'day Miles,
Something I wish I had known before I ditched the original wheel from my Jensen is that the Jensen Healey was the first production car to use a fully moulded steering wheel.
Having said that, I Much prefer the look and feel of the wood steering wheel I have now as the Very old original one was leaving my hands black and sticky with exfoliated rubber during our hot summer days.

Posted: 07-02-2019 03:22 pm
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
redracer

I've used LEXOL on the steering wheel and that keeps the rubber from deteriorating.
I also recommend Meguiars #40 on your dash, etc. Use a foam paint brush (and a plastic file binder insert to protect the windshield from the Meguiars) and let it soak in.
Hopefully, you have a garage to keep it in as the sun's UV will destroy/crack the dash. About once or twice a year with a good "soaking" should keep it looking new.
best wishes, bruce

Current time is 10:43 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Steering wheel question Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems