Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Front fender info for restoration

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Front fender info for restoration  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-26-2010 01:19 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
whitedog1

Greetings,

I am doing a complete bare metal resto on my early 1973 but cannot determine what the bottom portion of the front fenders are suppose to look like because they are rusted away.

Does anyone have pictures showing the bottom edge from the INSIDE of a detached fender??? Parts book is of NO help and I can't find any pics to use for fabricating the sheet metal. Cheers.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-26-2010 04:13 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Gary Martin JH 15371

I have a extra fender that is off the car. I can take pictures of it tonight and post them. (at work at the moment). The fender is damaged, but OK in the area your talking about.   Gary 

I can never figure out how to place pictures on the message board. Procedure escapes me. So, I put them in my JHPS photo gallery and here is the link.

http://jhppg.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=28642

Last edited on 06-27-2010 03:51 am by Gary Martin JH 15371

Posted: 06-27-2010 05:41 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
whitedog1

Thanks Gary ! much appeciated!!

Question: in your photo I spy two oval holes for mounting along the bottom edge, presumably to the rocker. Given that the bottom edge of mine are rusted away/ bondo, are the attach bolts going thru the fender and into threaded clips or a fixed nut on the rocker? I have two new rockers but don't remember seeing any attach points on them for that bottom edge of the fender. So....can you tell me how the attach point plays out? i.e. Clips slid into a hole or the edge of a square opening or is it a welded nut?

Posted: 06-27-2010 02:14 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

On an original rocker panel there are nuts welded into the panel so that the fendor bolts down to it, if you have the Delta replacements they do not come with that and you need to add them, there is a pop rivet style thread insert that does the trick nicely.

It's also not a good idea to bolt the fendor flush on to the rocker, what I discovered on my car was the factory had fitted a long plastic or PVC strip along the flange to keep them seperated slightly, approximatley 1/16" thick.

Brett 

Posted: 06-27-2010 03:55 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
whitedog1

Thanks Brett! Gotta love the Internet. People you've never met reponding to lend support within a day of posting. I have weld nuts laying about looking for pupose in life. Thanks too for the tip on clearance. I will be using narrow seam tape as an intermediary there and along the top edge where it joins to the inner fender, it helps preserve the paint where they meet and as they are bolted. In the case of the bottom edge, the tape will be several pieces spaced apart rather than one long one to give better drainage. While it's been said many times many ways, I am simply astounded by how poorly designed the body is with no eye towards designing for "mechanical" rust prevention. The "box" area formed behind the fender and encompassing the top of the rocker and footwell metal is a classic example of apparently having learned or caring little about previous rust problems. Interestingly, my floor pans are all solid but the rockers are trash.

Current time is 04:57 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Body & interior stuff > Front fender info for restoration Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems