Home 

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
Rory Clark

I am considering repainting only the exterior on my 73-Orange-JH Next Fall/Winter

The whole car is in Great Shape with only minor door dings Zero Rust. The paint in the truck is in factory condition. Engine compartment has some major paint chipping but I can touch it up. The exterior paint has faded enough it just won't shine like it should.

I will repaint the exact same color and want to stay as factory as posible.  What type of paint should I instruct a paint shop to use, what questions should I ask the paint shop And what is a reasonable cost I should expect.

Any and all ideas help

Rory 73-JH

jcrc1

Rory,

I recently had my 1974 JH painted. So you can compare things... My JH was given to the bodyshop as nothing but an empty shell with the front and rear suspension attached. They did a complete color change ( original  color was white) to a 2005 jaguar racing green with a clear coat. They charged me 5000.00. This included stripping the car down to metal, two coats of tinted primer were then applied with numerous body dings and dents taken car of at the same time. The bumpers needed straightening and undercoating was applied to the bottom. All the external hardware was refurbished or replaced as well as the exterior rubber seals which no doubt has aged over the years. The job took a bit over 2 months but to me it was worth it. I learned that if you are going to keep the car, a quality prep and paint job are worth every penny. Yours will be much less then mine as yours is not a color change and didn't require any bodywork. I would take a guess at 1000.00 - 1800.00 depending on the prep work involved. Enamel were used in the 70's...... I think the modern paints are much better with the clearcoat. .... But that's only my opinion

Sander

Lacquer, then enamel, then 2 stage …. the paint business is constantly evolving to better and easier to use chemicals.  The cost of materials seems to double each decade too.  The latest products are single stage, superior to base coat clear coat in many ways, allowing the ability to go back and “fill in” scratches and chips easily, when needed, and to blend in areas by simply sanding.  No need to repaint an entire door or fender.  I was exposed to the new PPG product line and was amazed how simple it was to use.  I imagine other manufacturers are out there too with similar products.  There was less “orange peel” and a much deeper reflection without having to wet sand and buff out.  This paint is very hard to chip and no yellowing like some clear coats do over time.  Ask questions when shopping paint shops for the latest and greatest stuff on the market.  Base coat clear coat … it’s yesterday’s news.

Rory Clark

Thanks Sander,

I do not like clear coat just for the reasons you stated. There just is no easy way to touch up

Rory

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems