Home 
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Fuel Stuff > Fuel Tank and Sender

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost

I needed to replace my fuel tank and evidently did not keep up on my reading.  I got a Jorge tank ( it is not installed yet) and will do my due diligence prior to install, leak check, sending unit seal etc.

On the subject of sending unit, I'm hearing mixed signals on using an MG unit.  Are they not compatible with a JH.  And is there any other suggestions on sealing the unit or is a second gasket necessary.

GH

JodyKerr

I remember alternate fuel senders being discussed. I don't remember anyone actually successfully installing one. The scrwey thing with the JH is the location of the sender and the length of the fill pipe (because the fuel delivery does right through the center of the sending unit). Finding a "new" sending unit it no small feat.

I do remember talking to Jim @ Delta recently about them being able to get sending units rebuilt. If you have the original you may want to send it off to him.

Jody

Thanks for clarifying, I've owned this car since '73 and I've rarely had problems sourcing parts.  The old unit works now but since I'm replacing tanks I thought it should be looked into.

Thanks,

GH

Gary Martin JH 15371

GH,

I installed my Jorge tank about a year ago. As noted several times do not use the white plastic ring he sent with the tank. And as you know the original rubber seal is a bit too thin to make a seal. I ended up taking an extra lock ring and ground off the tabs and used it as a spacer. You then have the rubber seal first, followed by the sending unit, the extra spacer, then the lock ring. No problems with leaks so far. But I do get gas fumes in the trunk. I have yet to find out what is causing that.

Gary

Dakota123

I installed a Jorge tank about a year ago, with good success.  I ground down the Jorge-supplied supplied plastic ring so it would work as a spacer, and used the original rubber gasket with Aviation Gasket Maker as a sealant.  No overt leaks, although I, too, have a slight odor of gas (and Gasket Maker, which I admit I rather like) in the trunk.

Also, be careful that the lock ring stays centered under the tabs when tightening.  It's easy to have one tab very nearly disengage.

Mike

I have a mechanic that is an X J.H. and J.H. GT owner so hopefully I've got some good experience to fall back on. I'll share your suggestions on sealing the sending unit.

Thanks for the insight.

G.H.

Dan Collier

I have Jorge's tank also that I changed out a few years ago. Although I can't find a leak. I always have the smell of gas in the tunk so I have to leave the trunk open when not in use. I wish I could find the source of the smell without useing a match :)

Last edited on 08-03-2011 04:07 am by Dan Collier

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems