New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
GT clutch  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 06-02-2010 07:44 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
jeff

Hey everyone,

My mechanic is working on John Cronin's GT and has run into the following problem:

I am having clutch problems with a Jensen GT. I have installed new cable, pilot bearing, clutch disc, pressure plate, and throwout bearing, surfaced the flywheel. Problem is adjustment is at the end, clutch will not release if started in neutral and try to shift in gear- grinds, start in gear with clutch depressed, car will stay- no lurching, but try to shift to second- grinds.Throwout  fork actually contacts front surface of bell housing with pedal depressed, tried different pressure plate- same result. throwout fork does not appear to be distorted or bent. Throwout fork appears to be positioned too far forward in bell housing, when cable adjusted to set  free pedal. Is there a different pressure plate/ clutch assembly that may have been used on these cars- something thicker to set deeper towards transmission and allow proper adjustment

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jeff

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-03-2010 01:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Sounds like the throw out fork is not in the pivot ball ??? 

Clutch pressure plate and bearing is the same for GT's and JH's four or five speed.

Brett

Posted: 10-01-2010 04:00 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
pbahr

Hi Jeff,

Of course good ol' Kenny knows that the Pivot Ball shaft length is different between the 4spd and 5 spd Bell Housing assemblies.  Perhaps there was an inadvertant switch.........

Brett has good possibility that the Fork is not properly seated in the Pivot Ball.

YELODOG

Current time is 08:19 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > GT clutch Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems