Home 

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher  
AuthorPost
subwoofer

J. Lucas strikes again!

The wipers stopped working, the ignition lamp lights up at high revs - flickers at medium revs and is out at idle, and I have developed a 5500 rpm misfire (at times bad).

I have a feeling that the two last ones may be related, would a bad connection from the B+ terminal on the dynamo cause this phenomenon - as the ignition takes more and more power? I have just had the gearbox out, so I could possible have disturbed quite a few wires while removing/replacing the starter - the problems started after.

Any typical faults to look for, or should I just start tracing? I have a modern Hella dynamo (at least I think it is modern, it was installed just before I got the car) so I think it has a voltage regulator on board, should I toss out the old voltage regulator hiding under the dash?

Dan (Florida)

Well, my 2 cents would be :

The ignition light would be about normal for having a different alternator installed. The ignition light normally stays on showing that the field coils are being excited by 12 volts from the battery allowing the (old alternator) to produce power. I can't imagine what it does with the new alternator.

The wipers  are straight forward. If the lights/horn/ turn signals work  then pull the steering wheel and cowling off and start at the turn signal switch. They all work off of one power wire. Work toward the motor and the ground after the motor.  The switch is another of the classic projects that you will have to address sooner or later. Resist the temptation of taking the switches apart unless you have plenty of patience. Parts will fly everywhere.

The miss sounds like a lean mixture.  Maybe check the intake gaskets or the brake booster or the vacuum advance if you have one. A high speed plug check could narrow the search.

good luck!!

I just read a ride report on advrider.com from 2 swedes that made a bike trip from Oslo to the arctic circle and back .  I never realised that Norway was so beautiful. The cold nearly did them in Though!

Dan

subwoofer

To take one thing at a time:

Misfire: could be carbs. Are the Spec 5 mains on the lean side, or are they over rich? Seems to pull through nicely at 3/4 throttle, stumbles like crazy when I floor it. To me, that does not suggest a vacuum leak is the problem. Mech advance only. I must bring out the strobe light, could be it's over advanced and pinking. Strange sound when it happens.

Ignition light: Reterminated most of the connections to the battery main junction, two of the came apart when I touched them... Exciter circuit does not work, light is out when it is not charging, glows when charging, needs a bit of revving to self energize. Confirmed with measurements.

Wipers: brand new switches installed 2 years ago, used less than a dozen times. But it could easily be the connector feeding those switches. Back in the Lotus position with a multimeter to trace the problem.

PS: Yes, Norway is beautiful, but for southerners it may be a bit on the nippy side. :-) Summer is just beginning now, have a look at my project thread for a few snaps of what it looks like at the moment.

--
Joachim

subwoofer

Two out of three fixed! Wipers and exciter circuit was in fact linked, since some DPO had wired the exciter into the green net, and the wipers had blown a fuse, probably because of a short due to the missing washer pump.

The misfire is still a bit puzzling, more on that in another thread.

--
Joachim

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems