Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Misfire at 5500 rpm  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-29-2010 10:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
subwoofer

I didn't notice this misfire three weeks ago (the last time Ms Jensen ran), today I had it several times. At 5500 it went dead, followed by a loud bang as the unburned mixture ignited in the tailpipe.

Is this some shaky wiring (I had to unplug and replug quite a bit to change the rear oil seal), or could it be the dizzy or points playing games with me? Today was a lot warmer than the last test run, 15C (65F) rather than 5C (45F), but I doubt that should have anything to do with it.

Any ideas?

--
Joachim

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 06-07-2010 07:16 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
subwoofer

Getting closer to diagnosing the problem now, I think. The problem seems heat related, so it could well be a carburetion problem.

At the moment, I am running the car without a radiator fan, which works fine as long as I don't get myself stuck in low speed traffic. I will install a Kenlowe fan as soon as possible, but it has to be shipped from England. The trouble seems to start if I allow the engine to get hot without moving, if the temp needle goes above the normal level, misfiring begins.

Part throttle works fine, floor it and it goes dead (as in nothing). Obviously, the idle circuit works, but for some reason the mains refuse to come in. Would the reason for this be that the intake air is too hot, or is it the fuel that is the problem? I will build a cold air intake system, but I haven't started cutting the radiator bulkhead yet.

--
Joachim

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 04:50 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Misfire at 5500 rpm Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems