Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

 Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
engine swaps  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 11-18-2011 06:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
21st Post
JodyKerr
Member


Joined: 05-15-2006
Location: Tempe, Arizona USA
Posts: 217
Status: 
Offline
Whereabouts are you located?

And if you're going to put an engine like that in make sure you find a good diff to support it. You may want to look at some of the late 90's pontiacs, they had trailing arm suspensions.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: 11-18-2011 07:10 am
  PM Quote Reply
22nd Post
Somebodystopme!!
Member


Joined: 11-17-2011
Location: Carlsbad, California USA
Posts: 22
Status: 
Offline
I live in Southern CA but come over to AZ quite often for work. I'm not the kind of guy that raggs on his ride whenever I'm behind the wheel but if the diff does give it up I have read on here where some have said that an S-10 would fit with some minor modifications.

 

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: 12-03-2011 09:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
23rd Post
Jensenman
Member
 

Joined: 04-14-2005
Location: Columbia, South Carolina USA
Posts: 156
Status: 
Offline
An S10 rear can be used, but when I built my rotary powered J-H from a retired SCCA IT car I found that a Mazda RX2/808/Mizer/GLC/RX3 rear axle is within 1" of the J-H axle. So I used a Mazda RX2 rear axle with a RX7 limited slip and also the RX7 rear disc brakes. You'd have to either fabricate upper brackets to use the two stock J-H arms or, as in my case, go with a 3 link setup with a Panhard rod. It's good to around 300 HP and is a good bit lighter than the S10 piece, plus it has a good aftermarket.

The 180 HP rotary has been fun, but I'm now leaning more and more toward V8 torque for hillclimbs. I keep looking hard at the Toyota 1UZFE quad overhead cam V8 from the Lexus LS400. Tough as nails (it is derived from a Toyota F1 project engine), cheap because the salvage yards despair of selling them, manual transmission conversions available, lighter than a comparable Big 3 cast iron lump (or even an LS1), much more powerful than a Rover V8.

And before anyone calls me a butcher, my other J-H is a restored JH5 with the 907 which I adore. :-) One of these days I will get a GT to restore as well.

 

Last edited on 12-03-2011 09:09 pm by Jensenman

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: 12-12-2011 03:18 pm
  PM Quote Reply
24th Post
superk83
Member
 

Joined: 12-03-2010
Location: Park Hills, Kentucky USA
Posts: 62
Status: 
Offline
Those are really popular swaps for 2nd gen Supra guys... Fantastic motors! The Aussie crowd seem to adore them..

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: 03-26-2012 08:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
25th Post
other
Member
 

Joined: 03-12-2012
Location:  
Posts: 5
Status: 
Offline
Jensenman wrote: An S10 rear can be used, but when I built my rotary powered J-H from a retired SCCA IT car I found that a Mazda RX2/808/Mizer/GLC/RX3 rear axle is within 1" of the J-H axle. So I used a Mazda RX2 rear axle with a RX7 limited slip and also the RX7 rear disc brakes. You'd have to either fabricate upper brackets to use the two stock J-H arms or, as in my case, go with a 3 link setup with a Panhard rod. It's good to around 300 HP and is a good bit lighter than the S10 piece, plus it has a good aftermarket.

The 180 HP rotary has been fun, but I'm now leaning more and more toward V8 torque for hillclimbs. I keep looking hard at the Toyota 1UZFE quad overhead cam V8 from the Lexus LS400. Tough as nails (it is derived from a Toyota F1 project engine), cheap because the salvage yards despair of selling them, manual transmission conversions available, lighter than a comparable Big 3 cast iron lump (or even an LS1), much more powerful than a Rover V8.

And before anyone calls me a butcher, my other J-H is a restored JH5 with the 907 which I adore. :-) One of these days I will get a GT to restore as well.

 


Just found this thread, and I have to say, I'm with Jensenman 100%. . . The 1UZ-FE Lexus Quad-Cam 32 valve V8 is an awesome piece of equipment, although to fit one in a Jensen Healey, you need the rear sump engine from the SC400 Soarer, not the LS400 Celsior. How do I know ? I'm building one at the moment ! (see attached 'before' pic). Before the purist start howling about the unseemly violation of a perfectly good JH, I want to clarify, IT'S NOT ! This is a rusted out parts car, purchased to provide an ongoing supply of spares for my first love, a beautiful 907 engined Mk1 (1140-10028). Had the "Frankenhealey" plan not come up, this poor car's fate was to be raped for evey useable item removable from her dilapidated carcase, and then into the crusher, as an uneconomical repair. So, in effect, this terrible plan has really SAVED her. I have fitted an Extreme Performance moly flywheel, adapter bellhousing, and R150 5-speed manual, and am currently in the midst of fabricating stainless steel long primary headers. I will be fitting an entire rear axle from a Holden Commodore VL Turbo (disc brakes and interchangeable Borg Warner ratios, and upgrading the front rotors and calipers, probably LC, LX, or UC Torana look to be the closest options, and keep the same stud pattern as the rear. Then the fun starts, with the standard ECU (aftermarket ECU's make licensing difficult here) has 144 (count 'em !) wires into it ! Most of them are superfluous to this project, but, phew ! Anyway, I defend the decision to do this, and understand the enormity of the undertaking, so feel free to shout me down ! I hope this awful project doesn't sour you all against me, as I am amazed at the depth of knowledge on this board, and as a long term Healey owner, I don't doubt I will have occasion to beg advise for my Lotus engined car in the future.

Attachment: IMG_1134 - small.JPG (Downloaded 240 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: 03-26-2012 04:10 pm
  PM Quote Reply
26th Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator


Joined: 03-11-2005
Location: Lake Nacimiento, California USA
Posts: 421
Status: 
Offline
Wow, that looks like quite a project! Please keep us updated on your progress, I'm really interested to see how this goes. How much does that engine weigh?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: 03-26-2012 11:39 pm
  PM Quote Reply
27th Post
other
Member
 

Joined: 03-12-2012
Location:  
Posts: 5
Status: 
Offline
Thanks Greg, I will post updates as I progress, although they may not be that frequent. This project is progressing alongside a bare metal respray of my Mk1, and 3 very involved motorcycle builds . . . . so a little bit at a time ! The engine itself weighs 149 Kg, with oil, alternator, P/S pump (bin !) and A/C compressor (bin as well !), but without the flywheel and clutch. Once the clutch components arrive (a hybrid concoction of Landcruiser and Skyline R32 stuff . . .) I will weigh the whole issue with gearbox attached, for comparison with the JH drivetrain. This is probably a more meaningful number, I think. The engine will sit back as close to the firewall as practical, to keep the weight distribution as even as possible. I have corner scales for my race car, but as these are only rated to 200 Kg per corner, I may have to get clever if I want to build the Healey on them . . . . Although not heavy, the 1UZ is physically quite large for a small vapacity V8, being 90 degree V, with each bank sporting 2 belt driven OHC's and 4 valves per cyl. so just squeezing the width into the little JH engine bay is a bit of a challenge. Still, wouldn't be as much fun if it was easy !

Attachment: IMG_1133 - small.JPG (Downloaded 226 times)

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: 03-29-2012 10:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
28th Post
superk83
Member
 

Joined: 12-03-2010
Location: Park Hills, Kentucky USA
Posts: 62
Status: 
Offline
That is a fantastic project! Please keep us updated... The 1uz is a brilliant piece of equipment. I may have missed it, but what trans are you using?

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: 03-29-2012 11:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
29th Post
other
Member
 

Joined: 03-12-2012
Location:  
Posts: 5
Status: 
Offline
Thanks for the support. The transmission is a 5 speed R150 from a 2006 Hilux WorkMate 2WD. This is mated to the 1UZ with a KP Racing adaptor bellhousing (they are a drift shop primarily, based in Thailand, but the bellhousing is brilliant quality !). The clutch is a hybrid affair, utilising a 10" Landcruiser disc for the spline match, and a D40 Navara or R32 Skyline HD pressure plate and release bearing to suit the bolt pattern on the Extreme Performance chrome moly flywheel. Time will tell how well this all works, but it has been done before with some success . . . . .

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: 12-01-2012 05:51 pm
  PM Quote Reply
30th Post
roverman
Member
 

Joined: 11-07-2008
Location:  
Posts: 80
Status: 
Offline
Thank you Greg, for letting us discuss engine swaps here. I'm building a 74' Hemi Healey. As many others have mentioned here, this requires a ground-up approach, to execute successfully. The gen III, 6.1L hemi engine weighs 200 lbs additional, over the 907. Carefull component selection and placement, is required to maintain proper vehicle dynamics. The Huffaker fenders allow 5" more track width, much needed. Vette C5 torque tube and Boxster 6 speed , completes the drivetrain. The conceptual, photoshop rendition, is at "BritishV8forum", webbsite in the "Healey" section.  Happy Holidays everyone, roverrman.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: 12-04-2012 01:03 am
  PM Quote Reply
31st Post
other
Member
 

Joined: 03-12-2012
Location:  
Posts: 5
Status: 
Offline
roverman wrote: Thank you Greg, for letting us discuss engine swaps here. I'm building a 74' Hemi Healey. As many others have mentioned here, this requires a ground-up approach, to execute successfully. The gen III, 6.1L hemi engine weighs 200 lbs additional, over the 907. Carefull component selection and placement, is required to maintain proper vehicle dynamics. The Huffaker fenders allow 5" more track width, much needed. Vette C5 torque tube and Boxster 6 speed , completes the drivetrain. The conceptual, photoshop rendition, is at "BritishV8forum", webbsite in the "Healey" section.  Happy Holidays everyone, roverrman.
Wow, now that IS an adventurous project, but the result will be awesome to drive. I'm not that familiar with American hardware (OK, I know the Boxster box isn't American . . ), but I love the torque tube as a principle. One of my early plans for my own car was Porsche 928S running gear complete, but was put off by a couple of things. A) Auto trans, as manuals are SO rare, and B) the ridiculous price of parts, even old second-hand junk, with Porsche stamped on it. Only advantage was 50:50 weight distribution with the front engine, rear transaxle gearbox and torque tube arrangemant. There would be secondary benefits to chassis rigidity, as most of the torque stress is diverted away from the monocoque, so the car isn't trying to wind itself into a spiral under heavy acceleration . . . However, that plan had to be dumped in favour of the current 1UZ-FE option. Yime will tell if it was the right decision ! Best of luck with your build Roverman, and keep us updated please ! (PS, Where are you based ? )

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: 12-04-2012 03:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
roverman
Member
 

Joined: 11-07-2008
Location:  
Posts: 80
Status: 
Offline
Update>>I have several reasons, for the Vette C5 torque tube: strenght to weight, rubber coupled drive shaft at each end, and the rigid aluminum outer tube will add substantial torsional and beam strength to the highly flexible standard tub.Yes, there are many different, "smart" motors available now, but I wanted a "Hemi Healey". Yes, it's not a "real" Healey as some would say, but it's close enough for me. This engine will be just dumb enough, that I can work on it. This means Megasquirt III contol of ignition and (2) tbi's on an Edelbrock dual plane/quad manifold. Target is 450+ hp. at the wheels. I don't anticipate too much nodding-off, while piloting, in Riverside County. Cheers, roverman.

Last edited on 12-07-2012 05:46 pm by roverman

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: 12-04-2012 10:07 pm
  PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
other
Member
 

Joined: 03-12-2012
Location:  
Posts: 5
Status: 
Offline
roverman wrote: Yes, there are many different, "smart" motors available now, but I wanted a "Hemi Healey". Yes, it's not a "real" Healey as some would say, but it's close enough for me. This engine will be just dumb enough, that I can work on it. This means Megasquirt III contol of ignition and (2) tbi's on an Edelbrock dual plane/quad manifold. Target is 450+ hp. at the wheels. I don't anticipate too much nodding-off, while piloting, in Riverside County. Cheers, roverman.
Mine should be about 100 HP down on yours at the wheels, but even that should keep me on my toes ! Wish I could go Megasquirt or Woolf 3D or similar, but registering anything modified with aftermarket ECUs here is a pain. Gotta do emissions tests etc, even though any pre '78 car is automatically exempt ! Please update progress periodically, I love these sorts of projects.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

 Posted: 02-09-2013 04:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
34th Post
roverman
Member
 

Joined: 11-07-2008
Location:  
Posts: 80
Status: 
Offline
I suggest a "peep" at the "BritishV8Forum", as there is a least one conversion, with your engine of choice. I believe in a TR7 ? As you may know, they have smaller engine bay, than our cars. Good Luck, roverman.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 02:38 am Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > engine swaps Top




UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems