Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Disappearing gas  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-09-2010 07:20 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
dwalls1

Is it possible for my fuel tank to be leaking, but not show any drips or gassy moisture in the trunk? Some how, while 17798 was parked in the garage waiting on my attentions, 1/2 tank of gas disappeared. No signs of a leak. Can the fuel leak into the trunk carpeting and evaporate with out dripping? I don't notice a lot of gas smell in the trunk either. Maybe I should question the neighbors about their siphon hose and gassy breath.  Any thoughts are appreciated.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-09-2010 11:58 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
John Finch

Measured or by the dash gauge? Sending unit, dash gauge or voltage stabilizer issue? Maybe someone took it for a spin, how old are you?  Did you forget your last ride? :-)

Posted: 05-10-2010 04:31 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
dwalls1

Thanks for the response, John. It sure has me puzzled, but to be honest I'm not sure if the odometer got reset without my remembering. It took ten plus gallons to fill it with the odometer showing only 77 miles since the last fill up. I do have a gassy odor in the trunk, but not overwhelming and no signs of any gasoline where it shouldn't be.

Posted: 05-10-2010 06:38 am
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
subwoofer

If it has been standing in the garage all the time, you would have smelled it if you had 6-7 gallons of petrol on the loose, you would also have seen it in the boot.

I think someone reset your trip odometer...

--
Joachim

Posted: 05-11-2010 02:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
dwalls1

Thank You for the reaffirmation of my senility. I was probably sitting in the car while it was down and doing the Walter Middy at the Tulip Rally bit, when I reset it. Now that it's up and running again I can do some real mileage checks. Even if my nose had not picked up on the odor, my wife surely would have. Now I've got to check price and availability on a new TR6 master cylinder. Thanks again.

Posted: 05-11-2010 05:14 am
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
subwoofer

No prob. You could use the MC from a Landrover, if that is easier to find. I think I posted the part# here a year or two ago, it was at least cheap in England.

--
Joachim

Current time is 08:36 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Fuel Stuff > Disappearing gas Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems