Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Suspension Bolts  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-05-2010 02:21 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
TXJH

Is there a listing somewhere for front and rear suspension bolt sizes?  I found a list that included almost all of the car except for the suspension.  Some of my labeled baggies have ripped, and now that I'm finally making some progress on the car, I want to avoid having to do the "It looks like this one probably goes here" bit.

Thanks

Brian

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-08-2010 02:35 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Brian, the only thing I have seen on the suspension bolts was a diagram Mark Rosenbaum did with torque settings nothing on actual bolt sizes, I do know that they are not metric and all hardened steel.

You probably will have to "looks like it goes here" but keep in mind they need the hardened hash marks on the hex cap, they fit snug thru the bushings and allow about 1/4" of extra lenght.

Hope this helps

Brett

Posted: 05-17-2010 01:48 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
TXJH

Thanks, Brett, for the information.

Some of the bolts are rather pitted, so I am going to replace them.  I read on a bolt website that all grade 5 and 8 are hardened, are they hardened properly for this application?  Also is grade 5 strong enough or do I need to go to grade 8?

Thanks again

Brian

Posted: 05-17-2010 01:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Brian, I went with 8's were I could but I think I had to use 1 or 2 5's, the factory bolts are grade 5 (3 hash marks), 6  marks are for grade 8, the biggest problem I recall was gettting the 9-1/2" bolt at the top, it didnt come in fine thread so I had to go with coarse, and dont forget to go with new locking nuts as well and avoid the nylon lockers the steel ones hold up better.

PS: use thread grease, always makes it easier to undo in the years to come.

Brett

Current time is 11:29 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Suspension > Suspension Bolts Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems