Moderated by: Greg Fletcher Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page  
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Electric Cooling Fan  Rating:  Rating
AuthorPost
 Posted: 05-24-2005 09:15 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Jim Ketcham

Has anyone switched "completely" to an electric cooling fan and eliminated the engine driven fan?  If so, can you relate your experience, type of fan, shrouding, and method of control?  Pictures would be great. 

Intuitively, an electric fan seems like a better approach offering high speed at idle and relieving the water pump bushing from some stress. 

I

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 05-25-2005 05:53 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
George

My recent acquisition came with a fan and controller installed. Can’t tell you much about it, however. The controller has a part number on it 020065AR. The instruction sheet that was in my box of spares oddly does not have a company name on it, but someone has written the number 3515098 on it.  I think it is a pretty straight forward job. Sorry I can’t be more helpful.  I have some pics, which I am trying to post, but if I fail, I can send them to you direct.

George

Attachment: Image006.jpg (Downloaded 255 times)

Posted: 05-25-2005 06:03 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
George

Second Picture

Attachment: Image007.jpg (Downloaded 253 times)

Posted: 05-25-2005 08:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
Judson Manning

Jim,

I do so much work on my car that the 'pusher' type is my favorite to make as much room as possible.

http://shorpac.com/v-web/gallery/album08/910_907_hybrid2

I'm using a 10" fan that keeps me under 180^ in traffic.  At speed it drops to quickly to 160^.

Judson

Posted: 05-26-2005 04:41 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
Jim Ketcham

George and Judson,

Thanks for the replies.  It apparantly is quite feasible to convert to an electric fan cooling system.  I am not quite sure if there are substantial benefits though.  I understand Judson's need for more space to add more plumbing so he can corner the stainless hose market.  All kidding aside, I do like the idea of extra work space up front.  Judson, it appears from your pictures you have a custom radiator (I assume aluminum) and oil cooler.  It is clear from your operating temps that the pusher works well with this system.  Do you think a 10inch pusher fan would be adequate with a recored 3 row copper JH radiator and stock oil cooler on a 2.2 stroker?

Jim

Posted: 05-26-2005 06:32 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Judson Manning

Jim,

Every car and every cooling system is different, so I couldn't tell you for certain what will or will not work for you.  With that said, I've pointed out on numerous posts that I went through 3 different re-cored JH radiators (and 3 fans at once) until I finally gave up on Copper.

I'm currently running an Aluminum Scirroco style drag race radiator that I bought from http://www.afcoracing.com.  The oil cooler is from permacool and is designed to handle up to 600hp.  My ride has been classified as 'experimental', so these are solutions that I don't necessarily recommend.

The configuration of my radiator is such that I had to mount it forward of the stock location.  Unfortunately, only the lower half gets good airflow, but the radiator is so efficient and the oil cooler is so big, it doesn't matter.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd get someone like Griffin to make me a custom aluminum radiator with 2x1.25" tubes that fit the stock JH opening and hose locations.  That is the expensive option....

Especially if you already have one, I'd try your 3-core JH radiator and stock oil cooler first.  You can always buy bigger and better stuff later!

Judson

Posted: 06-09-2005 12:29 pm
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
Ron Earp

I am probably getting ready to fight the cooling system fight myself. I have a four core copper radiator that is the same size as stock, just a hell of a lot thicker. However, that uses up a lot of space in front of the motor so I think I will have to do what Judson did - move the oil cooler inside behind the radiator and mount a pusher fan. I've got three electric fans laying around, including on slim line unit, and none will fit between the radiator and front engine dress.

As far as switching to an electric fan, well, it'll work just fine and probably better than the stock piece and shroud.  Most OEM new cars are electric and every race car I've ever come across is electric fan cooled, so you'll have plently of cooling. Also, bear in mind a 10" fan isn't a 10" fan isn't a 10" fan. Some 10" fans have much higher flow rates than others and you might need to do some investigation before purchasing.

Ron

Last edited on 06-09-2005 12:30 pm by Ron Earp

Posted: 06-10-2005 02:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
8th Post
Jim Ketcham

I have noticed that Flex-A-Lite has a "Flex-a-lite model 365 Scirocco fan" that looks very interesting.  It is close in dimensions and only 2 1/2" deep which leaves me 3/4" with my 3 core radiator.  I do not know your clearance Ron but this is about as narrow as I can find with good airflow. 

[size=Part #]

[size=Mounting Surf. Req'd]

[size=Fan Diameter]

[size=Fan RPM @13.5VDC]

[size=Number of Blades/Fan Blade Angle]

[size=Airflow-Cu. Ft./Min. at 0º Static Pressure]

[size=16]

Posted: 12-30-2008 07:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
9th Post
ozzadavies

I have a question about the stock fan. I assumed it was broken as the fan starts spinning at full speed when cold which makes the engine slower to warm up, particularly in cold winter mornings (like what we have here in England). When I asked my local mechanic whether the viscous fan coupling was not working properly he looked at me like I was speaking a different language.

Question is, am I labouring under some sort of false implanted memory, were viscous fan couplings ever fitted, or am I correct?

To go back to the original question of this thread, I too am thinking that an electric fan will be better than the original as it'll only come on when needed...

Posted: 12-31-2008 09:49 am
  PM Quote Reply
10th Post
Harkes

Hi Jim,
Garry Kemps advised me to get rid of the stock fan and install an electric fan preferrably fitted between radiator and engine so that the front of the radiator gets free airflow. Your engine i'm sure is in great condition and you have an uprated 3 core radiator, so you should be fine. Garry assured me that his JH hardly ever has to use the electric fan when driving, only occassionaly when stuck in traffic. You gain an additional 5 HP or so as bonus.
I haven't had the time yet to get the mechanical fan out and get an electric fan in, but i have been looking at Kenlowe fans, which seem to have HD version that flow really well. Please keep me posted on your progress as i need to go through this soon (in Netherlands we have an awful lot of traffic jams!! unfortunately)

To Ozzadavies: the JH doesn't have a viscous fan coupling. Problem is that when sitting still in traffic every engine starts heating up after some time and this is when you need a fan to kick in. Since the mechanical JH fan will be spinning very slow at idle the engine won't get the extra cooling when needed. And when back on high speed the engine gets sufficient cooling from driving although the mechanical fan then is blowing full force

To all: wish you all a Happy and Healthy New Year with lots of JH motoring!!

Posted: 12-31-2008 10:11 am
  PM Quote Reply
11th Post
Judson Manning

Fan Clutches were installed on a few JH roadsters as part of dealer-added Air Conditioning packages; and of course to all of the GTs which came with factory air.  The standard fan should be a strong yellow color with relatively few wide blades, while the A/C equipped cars had a white fan (plus fan clutch) with a larger number of narrow blades.

The biggest concern with a factory fan (which provides PLENTY of flow) is damage to the water pump.  An out-of-balance fan will stress the water pump bearings and cause premature failure.

Posted: 12-31-2008 12:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
12th Post
jgreen

Jim,

When Judson rebuilt my engine, he took off my old yellow engine driven fan off the the reasons you mentioned and installed an electric fan in its place. The thing works great as the temperature never goes above 180 in the absolute hotest weather when idling...... Judson also installed an awesome temperature gauge with actual numbers.  It works whenever the ignition is on and I can override with a switch hidden inder the dash if I want to shut it off while cruising. Up North, The fans are not needed all the time.

John

Posted: 12-31-2008 03:47 pm
  PM Quote Reply
13th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Oz, the later JH5's came with clutch fans such as yours, plus mine, they are designed to run at idle and up to speed, once at speed you have no need of a fan because of the cars movment. the fixed fans on the earlier cars are direct coupled and turn at the engine speed no matter what. when your fan goes bad on a clutch fan you can tell by turning it with the engine off, it should spin smoothly any grating and the bearing is on its way out. It happened to me at the 07 Nationals here in the US, jammed up and thru the whole fan assembly off, I was lucky it didnt go thru the radiator or damage the bonnet, plus the great bunch of people there helped me get back and I stuck a electric fan on to get by for the rest of the weekend. I did put an original clutch fan back on but kept the electric one in place as well.

Brett

Posted: 12-31-2008 04:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
14th Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

I guess we need to define what "better" is. I've used the stock fan and also an electric fan for years on my old car and I prefer the stock fan myself for normal driving. It has plenty of flow, it does fine at idle as long as your radiator is a proper 3 row core and (my favorite) there are no electrical components involved. I never had any problems with an electric fan, but you are adding more parts which I don't think automatically equal a better vehicle.

Posted: 01-01-2009 02:56 pm
  PM Quote Reply
15th Post
Harkes

"better" also depends on your personal situation.

i have a 2.2L with 3 core radiator with the stock fixed fan and the needle stays perfect in the middle when idling. But i haven't been sitting in traffic with it, which is where you would need the help of an electric fan. At least that is what i always thought.

the stock fan flows plenty....really??
Are you guys telling me the stock FIXED JH fan has enough flow that one can sit for over 30 minutes in traffic on a summer day without the engine getting hot??
I can hardly believe it, but please do tell me cause it would save me bucks on an electric fan and i hate extra wires.

....i don't want to test to find out i was right...

Posted: 01-01-2009 04:08 pm
  PM Quote Reply
16th Post
Greg Fletcher
Administrator

My JH could sit in traffic in the hottest temps for any length of time without the needle moving out of the middle. That should be considered normal for any JH in good condition. I should add that I always used a fan shroud, that will make a difference when you're not moving as it directs the air through the radiator that would otherwise just blow out the sides.

Posted: 01-02-2009 12:00 pm
  PM Quote Reply
17th Post
Mitch Ware

My car was the Grand Marshall car in the local Flad Day parade. One hour of idling and creeping at 2-3 mph. I have the stock fan with the fan shroud installed. I had no problems with over heating at all. Ambient temperature was around 85°.

Mitch Ware - #19670

Posted: 01-02-2009 05:23 pm
  PM Quote Reply
18th Post
Jensenman

With the stock 2 row radiator and fan, my car would hit 210 on a hot day both in traffic and at higher speeds. I upgraded to the 3 row radiator and Delta's fan shroud with the stock yellow fan, that fixed the low speed in traffic concerns completely. The highway speed problem, not so much (although it did help somewhat). That is an airflow problem at higher speeds, I fixed it by making a (rather ugly) aluminum 'scoop' under the front of the car. Now the temp runs dead in the middle no matter what the ambient temp (in Charleston that can be anywhere from 20 to 100 deg F) and my IR thermometer says that's 180-185.

Posted: 01-04-2009 03:16 pm
  PM Quote Reply
19th Post
Harkes

Ok, so it does seem to flow enough for sitting in traffic on a warm day.
I shall put it to the test and postpone the purchase of an electric fan.

as i understand then the shroud is a must.
thanks

Erik

Posted: 02-05-2009 01:56 am
  PM Quote Reply
20th Post
RossB

Folks,

As my car is nearing completion, I have also been thinking about cooling.

Here in Australia is a company Davies Craig who have a great reputation for aftermarket cooling products.

What I find interesting is a potential combination of a thermatic fan and their digitally controlled Electronic Water Pump. This looks like a great way to reduce the load on the fan belt, avoid any problems assocaited with water pump failure and avoiding Heat Soak.

This link gives a thorough review of these two products acting in combination and it certainly looks good.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Ross.

Current time is 02:09 pm Page:    1  2  Next Page Last Page    
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Cooling > Electric Cooling Fan Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems