Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
3 way firewall fuse block  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-31-2010 01:25 pm
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
k2enemy84

What gives with the 3 way fuse on the fire wall? I have repeatedly had no power to the middle fuse (the one sending power to the fuel pump), but have power to the top and bottom. I was rather desperate yesterday to start the engine since it has sat for about 3 months with fuel in the lines. I simply jumped the fuel pump off the battery via long gator clips and she started right up. When I disconnected the power and turned the ignition off the engine died as usual. For whatever reason I put a test light on the fuse block and now all 3 fuses are lighting up consistently...what gives? I've c hecked for faulty, broken, or loose wires, but nothing stands out.

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 03-31-2010 02:33 pm
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
subwoofer

Corrosion on the fuse clamps. Give them a good clean and don't go insane with the dielectric grease. It is exactly that - dielectric, meaning an insulator!

The fuse box is a brain dead design, since only one half of the clamp each side is actually connected to anything. Tightening the clamp blades is not likely to hurt either.

--
Joachim

Posted: 03-31-2010 03:37 pm
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
k2enemy84

I cleaned the connections before..well several times actually, I'll try the dielectric grease route next. It's just odd that it didn't work until I ran power back to the pump and now it works. One hangup is I dont want to force the fuse block any further from the firewall for fear of breaking something...but youre saying you can tighten the clamps on the reverse side of the block?

Posted: 03-31-2010 05:01 pm
  PM Quote Reply
4th Post
subwoofer

No, take the fuses out and bend the fuse clamps closer to increase the clamping force. If the contact surfaces look dull, go over with some very fine abrasive, the old blue eraser from school (for rubbing out ink) works nicely. I had the same problem, but it took some time to discover, since a wire had been placed between the two switched circuits in the engine bay. What I found was that the tach worked intermittently.

All this can be done from the engine compartment side, no need to take the fuse box out.

--
Joachim

Posted: 03-31-2010 05:17 pm
  PM Quote Reply
5th Post
k2enemy84

thanks, I'll give it a shot

Posted: 04-02-2010 01:52 pm
  PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Brett Gibson JH5 20497

Chances are when you fed power directly to the pump the bad connection in the system arked and made a complete circiut. So now it works, but it's still there and really cant be depended on, if it was me I would spend a few hours cleaning up all the connections under the bonnet, plus the grounds.

Brett

Posted: 04-05-2010 12:46 am
  PM Quote Reply
7th Post
k2enemy84

ok, I brought my dremel to work along with the wire brush head. I cleaned the connections and used dielectric grease and now it starts right away and run better now that there isnt a shotty connection of power to the fuel. Thanks for the help gents.

Current time is 01:19 pm  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Electrical & Instruments > 3 way firewall fuse block Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems