Home 
Home Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Oil Pump Priming after rebuild

Moderated by: Greg Fletcher
New Topic Reply Printer Friendly
Oil Pump Priming after rebuild  Rate Topic 
AuthorPost
 Posted: 03-23-2010 04:55 am
  PM Quote Reply
1st Post
Boxedwino

Howdy folks, I have seen some horror stories about oil pumps not working after a rebuild. I am in the middle of a rebuild right now. I have put most of the engine back together. This has been a serious labor of love and I don't want to screw it up with a dumb mistake, especially one that fellow club members have already solved. So I am asking for some assistance on how to do this. I took the oil pump apart and cleaned all the parts by hand. Now I have it back together on the engine with a re-built oil pickup tube. I have filled the oil pan with 4 quarts. I am using a speed wrench with a hex key to crank the oil pump clockwise at about 3 times per second. I can not get it to push oil out through the top of the valves, or anywhere else for that matter. What am I doing wrong? I have included a picture of how the engine looks now. Other pictures including a breakdown of the oil pump pieces are on my site. http://jen.fransella.com Is there another place to put some of these pictures? I have a ton. Thanks in advance for any help that y'all can offer. I would really like to drive it to the 30th South Texas Healy Roundup in Fredricksburg TX on April 16-19th http://www.stahc.org/content/links.php Let me know if anyone else is going.

Last edited on 10-30-2014 03:34 am by Boxedwino

Back To Top PM Quote Reply  

Posted: 04-14-2010 02:52 am
  PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
Boxedwino

OK, I have found my problem. There were a few.
    Olive washer not tight enough around the oil pickup tube.
    Over tightened the bolts on the oil pump housing to block tore the gasket. I replaced the gasket and tightened them to spec.
    Pump will not work without the distributor in place!!!! Dumb mistake, the 5th time I removed the oil pump to try to figure it out I checked the gears again. Glad I did, I had used too much gasket adhesive and it was gunking up the gears. But I realized that there was no seal between the gears and the top of the housing. It is sealed by the o-ring on the distributor.
Once these issues were fixed I put a drill and a home made pulley attachment on the the oil pump. I know I have plenty of pressure since it shot oil 7 feet across the shop from the oil pressure port on the side of the block. Glad I figured it out. Hope that helps anyone else out.

Posted: 04-16-2010 05:08 am
  PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
Dakota123

Good to know about having the distributor in place.  I likely would have made the same mistake.

Great blog, well-written and great photography.

Mike

Current time is 05:20 am  
> Jensen Healey & Jensen GT Tech > Engine & Transmission > Oil Pump Priming after rebuild Top

UltraBB 1.172 Copyright © 2007-2011 Data 1 Systems